Aleeeeeza's Reviews > The Near Witch

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: arc-netgalley-galleygrab, 2011-read
Read from July 25 to 27, 2011

So…where do I begin? I’ll start off by saying that I was really pumped about reading this book. I mean, I *did* do a happy dance when I got it on Netgalley, you know. Victoria Schwab seems like an awesome person, and the summary of this book sounds so very intriguing.

First of all, I’ll talk about what I liked in this book:

1) The setting. Beautiful, atmospheric and rich. This is, after all, a fantasy book, and thus I was very impressed by how well Ms. Schwab crafted this unique little town of Near.

2) The writing! While the setting was enchanting, the writing is absolutely breathtaking! Like this amazing passage:

Of every aspect of the moor, the earth and stone and rain and fire, the wind is the strongest one in Near. Here on the outskirts of the village, the wind is always pressing close, making windows groan. It whispers and it howls and it sings. It can bend its voice and cast into any shape, long and thin enough to slide beneath the door, stout enough to seem a thing of weight and breath and bone.

Beautiful, innit?

3) The mystery. It may not have been the best I’ve ever read, but it was definitely very intriguing.

Now, while those above points in themselves make this book a 4-star read, I wasn’t able to completely fall in love with it. For one thing, I thought the romance was just a bit too quick. And ya’ll know (well, you probably don’t, for all I know) how much I like a slow-burning and ultimately satisfying romance. I’m not saying I didn’t like it—it just felt to me like the chemistry between the characters should have been developed a little more, perhaps.

The plot was also a bit slow in the beginning. It took me a while to get into it, but when I did, the pages flew by. And the characterizations were pretty solid for the most part, but for some reason I just don’t feel like I knew Lexi all that well. She’s strong and determined, yes, but…well, I just didn’t *connect* with her, ya know?

Soooo…while I’d hoped to like this book a *bit* more, it was still an original and refreshing read I would definitely recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Near Witch.

07/25/2011 page 144
50.0% "love the writing...but am yet to be gripped by the plot."

message 1: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair I wish they would approve me already for this book!

Aleeeeeza Stephanie wrote: "I wish they would approve me already for this book!"

hmmm...lots of people seem to be having a problem with that! i don't get it, really :/

Kristina This one is really good! I hope you like it

Margo Berendsen You expressed my feelings about the book perfectly - I just couldn't connect with Lexi and the romance felt only half-there. But that ending was shiver-me-wow.