Miles's Reviews > The Leopard

The Leopard by Jo Nesbø

Jan 20, 11

bookshelves: reviews
Read from January 16 to 19, 2011

If ever there was an author you’d think twice about upsetting, crossing or agitating – Jo Nesbo’s your man! I mean that in the nicest way possible of course, he has an amazing natural ability to create some of the darkest and vile nemeses you could ever wish to meet – or should that be not to meet?!

In a follow up to “The Snowman” – which incidentally was my top book of 2010 – Inspector Harry Hole is back in action as Norway is gripped by yet another Serial Killer. With numerous references to “The Snowman” – reviewed here - throughout the novel, it would be advantageous (if at all possible) to take a step back and read the chilling account of Hole’s previous case. It’s not by any means necessary but it does give a greater understanding of Oslo’s finest detective as he attempts to silence “The Leopard”.

Translated by Don Bartlett, “The Leopard” is the sixth internationally acclaimed novel featuring Inspector Harry Hole. Nesbo has certainly come a long way since his debut novel was published in 1997 in Norway.

“The Leopard” is available to buy from Amazon & The Book Depository.

“The Leopard” for me had a very different feel to it than “The Snowman” – it’s not as psychological, it won’t play on your mind and for the most part won’t give you nightmares! This is more your stereotypical case of bad versus evil, police hunting down the killer- all the while set against an intensely atmospheric background.

One has to question how Harry Hole survives his daily ritual of drugs and booze. If he’s not drinking Bristol Sherry, or bottles of Jim Beam then he’s smoking Opium and chain smoking his way through cartons of duty free cigarettes. There’s no denying it, Harry Hole is in a dark place and has hit the self-destruct button – the problem is he really doesn’t care.

Following the devastating events of “The Snowman” Harry Hole has left Norway to the relative safety of Manila – at least that was the plan. However, a lay off in Hong Kong finds our intrepid Inspector drinking his way to an early grave, experimenting with hard drugs and in serious debt after risking everything on a single race at horseracing’s Happy Valley. With his debt sold to the triads, Hole is on the run living day by day in the squalor of Chungking Mansions.

Although reticent to return to Norway, a third murder, that of a female Socialist MP, and his father’s illness entices him back – not one to pass up a thrilling investigation, he wastes no time in upsetting the balance of power and making enemies.

Full review on my blog:- http://www.milorambles.com/2011/01/20...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Leopard.

01/16/2011 page 32
01/17/2011 page 161
25.0% "The first murder is simply - inspired!!!"
01/18/2011 page 308
47.0% "Some dark characters in this novel!"
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James Thane I've read one of Nesbo's books and really enjoyed it. I need to find the rest and add them to the teetering pile of other books that I've bought and not been able to read yet.

Miles I feel your pain James! I would love to go back to the beginning with nesbo but not sure I'll have the time at the moment! One I highly recommend however is "The Snowman" - brilliant book. Sure you'll enjoy it!

message 3: by James (new)

James Thane Thanks Miles; I'll look for it.

Joy (Cheery♡Reads) I just bought The Leopard and it is my first Jo Nesbo book. Didn't realize that it was the eight book in the Harry Hole series. Now I'm not sure whether I should read the previous case(s) first before delving into this one? Don't want to feel lost reading this though.

Miles Hi Joy, to be honest I've only read The Snowman and The Leopard - joined the series late so can't really comment apart from my experience but I didn't feel cheated. However, I know a few people who swear by going back to book one and working in order. I can't do that unfortunately as I receive so many books a week it would be impossible! Hope that helps.

Joy (Cheery♡Reads) I previewed The Snowman in Amazon not long after reading your review about it and my, it's rather hauntingly good. Ordered one immediately. Unfortunately, only books 3-8 have been translated to English. Might get 3-6 though.

message 7: by John (new)

John Parry Everyone I know, including myself, got into Nesbo by first reading The Snowman. From then on hooked, but do read the rest in order otherwise chaos ensues. Hollywood have got their more on it. Whether they use American actors or English speaking Scandinavian actors, they will need to film it in Norway to try and get a least a touch of the atmosphere the book creates.