Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > Fancy Pants

Fancy Pants by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: buddy-or-group-read, d-oh, reviewed-2011, lit-for-the-chicks, romance-contemp, forever-alone
Recommended for: people who are in the mood for some drama
Read from September 13 to 16, 2011, read count: 1

This book was like a carrousel ride for me. It had so many ups and downs that by the end I didn’t know what to think of it. I started with lots of hatred towards the main characters and bit by bit I got to love some. Others.. well they constantly sucked. Yes Dallie, I’m talking about you.

When I started Fancy Pants I had something in mind. A bit of comedy, a feisty heroine and a jackass hero. Hell, the typical Susan Elizabeth Phillips stuff. *excitement excitement*

Soooo I was reading and reading. Strange things going on. Nothing like the Susan Elizabeth Phillips books I’ve read so far. But the eternal believer in me knew the good stuff was coming. And then I stumbled into this:
“Anything in life was permissible … as long as she looked pretty doing it.”

Aaaand this:
“I’m worried about you, Mummy. There are circles under your eyes, and you look tired all the time. You’ve also been impossible to live with. Only yesterday you brought home the beige Givenchy kimono for me instead of the silver one I asked you to get.”

*awkward silence*

So uhmm… How to best explain the transition of my feelings?

I hated Francesca’s guts, as you can imagine. I wasn’t happy with having a heroine who was a complete idiot. Of course I kept on cursing and then reading some more and then cursing again. Soon after that something bad happened to our favorite girlie girl. Of course I was immature about it and thought that I caused her mum’s accident. Muahaahaaha. I was at least trying to enjoy myself by being happy because of her suffering. The normal thing to do in my case, trust me.

And then Dallie appeared. My first (and last) image of him:

My Dallie is a perfect replica of Brad Pitt. I don’t care what you think! I don’t wanna hear it! *covers ears* Lalalalalalalalaaaaa!

So of course I liked the dude in the beginning. He seemed cool and funny. Plus him being an ass to Francesca got him on my good graces. But then I got to know him a lot better and I ended up hating his guts. I know, right? How can I hate his guts when he looks like that? Well, I consider myself a strong person and- yeah you’re probably right. I’ll cut the crap. He actually sucked that much! I ended up switching places between Francie and him. Heh, how the hell did that happen?

That’s actually a good question. How the hell did I end up liking that bimbo?? Well first of all it was nice seeing Francie evolve into an actual person. I had an inner battle where I kept screaming at myself for getting soft whenever she was suffering. So you can imagine I was like “Must...not...feel...bad...for....evil...Francesca....” *a scene where she has to clean toilets* ”Aaaawwwww Francesca poor thing!!!!!”

It felt nice growing up with Francesca. I got to hate her, admire her and in the end love her. It felt intimate and wonderful.

Gerry is awesome; loved him. He was my favorite character. Teddy is great too. A silent killer, I have to respect that. I even ended up liking Holly Grace. Imagine that!

The book was oozing drama so I have to admit this is not one of Susan Elizabeth Phillips’ best. I like her books to be a bit lighter than this. I was thinking of giving it three stars but the ending deserves an extra one.

Oh and I still hate Dallie’s guts. Must kill. Now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fancy Pants.

09/14/2011
30.0% "I hate Francesca's guts."
09/15/2011
50.0% "Getting my rifle ready. Dallie must die!"
09/16/2011
83.0% "It's getting real good :D" 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aly is so frigging bored Yay :D have you read anything yet? I am postponing reading it so I have someone to talk to about it ;;)

Anzu The Great Destroyer I'm going to start it tonight :D I can't wait ♥ Missed SEP :D

Aly is so frigging bored Well, I here you. I don't think I found other contemp authors this good. I mean they are great but not number 1 :D

Anzu The Great Destroyer True. I didn't like the book at the beginning btw. I hate Francesca with all my heart! Seeing Dallie kick her ass is soooo good now :)))

Aly is so frigging bored I love her! She would do anything for her kid, I love that :)

Anzu The Great Destroyer What kid? O.O

Anzu The Great Destroyer Damn you Aly!!!

Aly is so frigging bored Who did u think Ted was with the last name Beaudine?!

message 10: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer I had no idea who the dude is and didn't know his name :D Soooooo.... yeah :)))

Aly is so frigging bored =)) but I remember telling you :D whatever :D doesn't matter anymore :)) And I like him in this book too :D he does smth interesting at a very important landmark :D

message 12: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer So far I got to 50% And as I said in the group discussion I hate Dallie now X(

Aly is so frigging bored they'll get around :D i even like his ex-wife :))

message 14: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Slowly yes. But at the time speaking I hate them all!!! :)))

Aly is so frigging bored Wow :D that is really smth :))

message 16: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Still SEP rocks XD

message 17: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija Need to read this soon. :D

message 18: by Madu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Madu So not the great one to start reading SEP, huh? For me it's the second book of hers that I'm reading[I can't remember what happens in the first so I could say this is the first :))].

Aly is so frigging bored :)) you guys she wrote this like 20 years ago! Most of us weren't even born yet! It's her writing style from then and I like it, though I like the one from now more :D

And I love the way it showed all Franice's history

message 20: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Madu wrote: "So not the great one to start reading SEP, huh? For me it's the second book of hers that I'm reading[I can't remember what happens in the first so I could say this is the first :))]."

I started with The Chicago Stars series and fell in love with her :D I don't think I'd like her much if this was the first book I read for her :D

Aly ~Thanatos~ wrote: ":)) you guys she wrote this like 20 years ago! Most of us weren't even born yet! It's her writing style from then and I like it, though I like the one from now more :D..."

Yeah it was obvious it's vintage :D It was nice reading it though.

Aly is so frigging bored I think I'd still like her :D

And since I've read all her stuff, some more then once, I can say that all her books are great...

message 22: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer I like her new stuff more :D

Aly is so frigging bored :)) you have to see the next one :D "Lady be good" it has some parts that leave you "wtf just happened?!"

message 24: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Is it better than this one?

Aly is so frigging bored It's written with her new style if that's what you're asking :D

message 26: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer That's great then :D Buddy read that? :>

Aly is so frigging bored =)) if you want to :D

message 28: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Yeah it would be great :D

message 30: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Hmmm in a week or so :))

Aly is so frigging bored ok. i'm game :D

message 32: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Deal! :D

message 33: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija If I like FP, maybe I can read the next one with you guys?

message 34: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Sure you can ;)

Aly is so frigging bored the next one is more comedy and no dark spots... and it's so damn funny :D

quotes I love from it :D
1. “Now, this is where I draw the line! It's bad enough everybody in town's going to be thinkin' I'm sleeping with a depressed, lice-ridden, hemorrhoidal foreigner who likes to be tied up and might be pregnant, although-since she's just about cornered the market on condoms-I don't know how that could have happened. But I will not-you listen to me, Emma!-I absolutely will not have anybody thinkin' a woman of mine needs a vaginal moisturizer, do you hear me?”

2.“He stopped to rest at a cart selling nuts and candy, bought himself some Jelly Belly's, flirted just enought with the Mexican cutie working there to convince her pull out the banana-flavored one. Although he liked his Jelly Belly's mixed up, he didn't like banana, but, since it took too much effort to pull them out himself, he generally tried to talk someone else into doing it. If that didn't work, he just ate 'em.

3.“Clubs rattled behind them. Skeet Cooper rubbed the corner of his mouth with his thumb and rose from the bench. “Looks like Kenny’s caddy’s here.”
Dallie lifted an eyebrow as his son stepped up on the tee carrying Kenny’s bag.
Ted smiled. “Sorry I’m late. Mom made me eat breakfast. Then she started fussing with my hair, don’t ask me why.”
Dallie took the driver Skeet handed him. “Funny you didn’t mention that you were going to caddy for Kenny today.”
“Must have forgot.” Ted smiled and shifted the bag. “I told Skeet.”
Dallie shot Skeet an annoyed look that didn’t bother Skeet one bit. Kenny gestured toward the tee. “Be my guest. I believe in showing respect for the elderly and the infirm.”

4.“Steeling herself, she rose out of her chair, looped her arm around Kenny’s neck, and planted herself in his lap.
He lifted an eyebrow. “Have I missed something?”
She curled her mouth into what she hoped was a seductive smile and tried to speak without moving her lips. “Kiss me at once.”
“No,” he said indignantly.
“Why not?”
“Because I don’t like your attitude.”
She had been a bit bossy, but that was only because she was nervous. “I apologize.”
His eyes settled on her mouth. “Okay, I’ll kiss you.”
The burly man turned away, and she immediately ejected from Kenny’s lap.”

I have to stop now =))

message 36: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Niiiceee :D It seems good =))))

Aly is so frigging bored It doesn't SEEM it is :))

message 38: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija LOL, I love those quotes! I really hope I can enjoy FP and then get to the next one. :D

message 39: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer It seems :p I'll judge when I read. Ted is so cute :D

Aly is so frigging bored Oh yes... He's actually very hot :D now that he's grown up I mean :)))

message 41: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Oh god Aly! Pedo much??? =))))

Aly is so frigging bored Not really :)) I am saying he's hot only after 20 :D so I would def say not pedo :D:D:D:D

message 43: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Still I got the shock before reading the last part :))))

Aly is so frigging bored =)) 'cuz your mind is in the gutter most of the time?!

message 45: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Nah 'cuz I was thinking how wonderful you are and got distracted :>

Christina I agree with you, except I really don't like any of the characters except Francesa's son. And the way Dallie was to him, made me want to pull out a gun like your Stewie picture!

message 47: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer I really understand why you would hate everyone :D I just felt bad for the poor woman and got soft a bit :))