Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > The Toy

The Toy by Claire Thompson

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, erotica, not-worth-it
Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy

This is a short book - a novella really - and honestly you wouldn't want it any longer. The Toy is a prime example of how unsexy Erotica can be, and for very good reason. In fact, I'm rather surprised this one was published, as I thought rape was a pretty firm no-go area for erotic fiction.

In this story, Gina is a young woman from a dull, conservative and religious family who volunteers at the Christian Outreach Center and is not long away from marrying her equally dull boyfriend Dwayne, mostly because they've been together so long and that's what's expected of her. On her way home one evening she is kidnapped from her bus stop by two men who keep her locked in a windowless, soundproof padded room for months while they "break her in". One, Gordon, is a misogynistic homosexual who is disgusted by women but toys with them anyway, and is brutal and cruel. His own personal boy-toy is Frank, a young, handsome man who is much kinder to Gina and teaches her the gentler side of sex, among other things.

Aside from completely changing Gina into someone who could never go back to her old life, there seems little point to this story and a whole lot of horribleness. There are a few erotic stories that I've read that I feel have left a taint behind in my mind, and this would be one of them. It's not safe, consensual sex, for a start. And there's nothing much else to the story but the gross interactions between the three characters. And, of course, Gina falls in love with Frank. I wasn't impressed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Toy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel I never understood why authors have the female rape victim fall in love with their rapist. It's almost like they are trying to justify that it all ends up being okay and there for making the story not as horrible. News flash, Rape is horrible no matter how you try to sugar coat it. It's ridiculous really. I read a similar erotica once and it left me sitting there saying “What the hell just happened here?”

Loved your review, very well put!

Shannon (Giraffe Days) That's exactly it! Generally I find good erotica to be about empowering women's sexuality, but this kind of story does the opposite. Gina doesn't become some kind of empowered woman comfortable in her sexuality, she's simply a brutalised victim just as weak and helpless as she was before but now with the added experience of being raped! I'd hate to think it perpetuates the myth that women secretly want to be/fantasise about being raped.