Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > Sarah's Education

Sarah's Education by Madeline Moore

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, erotica, bdsm
Read in February, 2011 — I own a copy

This is one of the better erotica novels I've read in a while, being well written, interesting, exciting and even humorous, with a central female character who is well developed and not annoying. It's Erotic Romance in that it has a happy ending, but there's nothing really romantic about it.

Sarah has long promised herself that on her twenty-first birthday she will have her first drink and lose her virginity. When her boyfriend David seems to have forgotten her birthday entirely, Sarah goes ahead with her plan to have some champagne - but when she arrives at the Toledo Royal Avenue Hotel she's mistaken as an escort and ends up losing her virginity anyway - to a man she's never met before. It isn't until she wakes up the next day to an empty hotel suite and an envelope with a lot of money inside that she realises what happened, and it isn't until after she's spent all the money that she gets a call from the escort agency, wanting their cut.

In order to pay back the money she owes, Sarah agrees to her first assignment - which turns out to be watching a couple who like to be watched - in the most interesting of positions. Each assignment that Sarah agrees to further broadens her new-found interest in sex and her knowledge of the many kinds of sexual desire. She finds that she's good at it too, though still yearning for something she can't put into words.

Then a weekend-long assignment comes her way and she meets John, an older, well-educated man who introduces her to the kind of play she's been fantasising about; it's a weekend she can't get out of her head. When "John" turns up at her university as her new Honours Philosophy Ethics professor, things become more complicated for Sarah's once-orderly world.

This book actually reminded me of a similar story I had to read for an English class at university, in which a young, sexually-innocent girl married to a much, much older man has a brief affair with a man who encourages her to become a call girl, and enter a world of wild and kinky sex. I can't remember what it was called (though the cover image isn't one you're likely to forget in a hurry, of a woman in stiletos wrapped in straps of leather, holding a whip - ah that was a great course!), but that one had a much different ending.

I found Sarah a much more interesting character than you usually get in this kind of fiction - she was just as believable as a student as she was as a call girl, and her growth as a character was natural and plausible. It was certainly titillating - some of her assignments were rather unusual, such as the grown man who had a nursery in his house and wanted an escort to pretend he was a baby and she his mother - there are so many different kinds of people in the world, that the idea of "normal" is a ludicrous one to hold onto. That was definitely a part of the book I really appreciated, and it's so fascinating to delve into the psyches of other people, even if in fiction.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Education.