Kimberley's Reviews > Love At Goon Park: Harry Harlow and the Science of Affection

Love At Goon Park by Deborah Blum

Jan 16, 2011

Read in January, 2011

Love at GOON Park is particularly satisfying because the content is fascinating and the writing is so good! It's science that reads like a novel. The book is about Harry Harlow and his monkey experiments on mother love. The name GOON Park comes from the address of Harry's lab at 600 N Park, which, I suppose looked a little like "GOON." Harry's experiments completely changed our view of the needs of babies for relationship, community and softness. Besides his well-known experiments with "wire mother," there were many others that were equally astounding. I underlined heavily. Here is one quote, "Love ... was not built of one relationship but many. Our love lives ... form links in a healthy chain of normal development: maternal love, infant love, paternal love, friendship, partnership - one connecting to the next and then the next. The early attachment is the first link of that chain, the start of our ability to connect with others" (page 194).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love At Goon Park.