Tina's Reviews > Garden Spells

bookshelves: 2011, literary-fiction, magic-realism, best-2011, gifts
Recommended to Tina by: Chachic
Read from July 24 to 25, 2011

Original post at One More Page

I've heard so many good things about Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen, but it took me a while before I acquired it and even some more time before I decided to read it. Every now and then, there's a book that comes along and takes you in and makes you comfortable with every page. They're those books that you just sink into effortlessly, almost like it was an old friend welcoming you with warm food after a long day's travel. I am very, very glad to say that Garden Spells is one of them. :)

Claire Waverley has lived alone for a long time now, choosing to stay in the Waverley house, running her catering business that offers the strangest but life-altering delicacies. Being a Waverley, Claire possesses a kind of magic that is unique to her: she can cook food from their garden that can shape the minds and moods of people who eat them. Claire is content with living alone and is not in any hurry to relinquish control over her routines until her wild and rebellious sister Sydney comes home with her daughter. Claire's quiet life is turned upside down as she deals with her sister's homecoming, and she tries desperately to stay in control even if she's afraid of the changes this would bring in her life.

Garden Spells , in a word, is lovely. This book reminds me of Marisa de los Santos' books, Love Walked In and Belong to Me , both of which I loved. The prose is lyrical but never flowery, the characters quirky but never too much that they'd be annoying or forced. I love that all characters had something going on with them -- even the apple tree had a personality. Just like Waverley magic, there's something really magical about this book, just enough that you wouldn't question the people's abilities or the things they believed in the little town of Bascom. Granted, there isn't anything that surprising with regards to the book's plot, but there's just a certain charm in this book that would stop you from caring too much. It's like you want to live with them there. This book should also not be read while hungry because all the descriptions of food made me hungrier! It makes me wonder if there is some truth in the life-altering food that Claire makes. Maybe if I put candied violets in my cake...? Haha, right. I can dream.

It's not often I let out a contented sigh at the end of a book, but this got one out of me. Sigh. If all of Sarah Addison Allen's books are as yummy and as magical as Garden Spells , then consider me a fan. I can't wait to get my hands on her other books. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garden Spells.

07/24/2011 page 15
07/24/2011 page 87
30.0% 3 comments
07/31/2016 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

Kwesi 章英狮 I'm glad you enjoyed the book, although the book I gave you had those yellow pages already. Hehe.

Tina Kwesi 章英狮 wrote: "I'm glad you enjoyed the book, although the book I gave you had those yellow pages already. Hehe."

Haha it's okay! I even found a receipt and a piece of tissue in the book, probably from previous owners. :D Thanks again for giving me a copy! :)