Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)'s Reviews > The Throne of Fire

bookshelves: i-own
Read in September, 2010

** spoiler alert **

Read on the 16th of May 2011

This book was wonderful. I’m always entranced by Rick Riordan’s work. I adored Percy Jackson, and I always will, but I think it’s possible that if this series continues to way it is, I may end up liking it more. Both books in this series have been brilliant and Riordan knows exactly what he’s doing. One of the things I love about Riordan’s writing is how he adds in little sentences that let you know something crazy is going to happen like, “It started when we set Brooklyn on fire" or “Should I describe Waterloo Station as it was before or after we destroyed it?--things like that are just brilliant and you know you’re going to get a fabulous tale from the very beginning.
This book was a fast paced, never ending ride of awesome the entire way through (yeah, yeah, tacky but sue me). It was action packed and fun, with the perfect blend of friendship, humour and romance to draw you in and captivate you the entire way through.

It was great to see all the wonderful characters from the first book back, along with some new inclusions. Bes, Walt, Jaz were all excellent additions to a cast of characters that I love already. Carter and Sadie continue to be fabulous main characters and I love following them on their journeys. I feel like they’re both really growing as characters, especially Sadie, who is really beginning to shine and I find it adorable to watch her face her boy troubles just like every other teenager while trying to save the world. Then again, most teenagers don’t have the choice between a boy who’s dying and a god. Still Sadie is hanging in there and managing to lean things as she goes.
I admit that I don't have the same love for Carter as I do for Sadie. He's not quite as interesting and at times can be bland, but he's beginning to take shape too and I like character growth. I feel sorry for him with how the Zia situation turned out and I’m hoping to see things resolved as the series progresses.
Although I missed seeing Bast in this book, but I thought Bes was a terrific replacement. He was gross and grumpy and kind and funny and just a great guy. It was nice to have the dwarf god in the story and I’d love to see more of him, depending on whether or not Carter and Sadie can return him to his former glory that is.

The battle scenes within this book were many, and the fight scenes between Carter, Sadie and Apophis/ Vlad were interesting. I almost feel sorry for our two heroes. They went through so much and it almost seems like they didn’t gain anything. Desjardins is dead, Apophis is in the abyss (although it’s pretty obvious he’ll claw his way out sometime soon) and Amos is the new Chief Lector. Ra is still, well, senile and Zia apparently has some big destiny that we all know nothing about....things sure are exciting!
I’m looking forward to the next book in this series, although I have no idea when it will be released. Can’t wait regardless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Throne of Fire.

05/13/2011 page 85
16.0% "Totally lovin' in! Riordan can do no wrong."
05/14/2011 page 157
30.0% "Lovin' it!!!!!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Krista (One Love) (Critical) I don't know why, but I couldn't get through the first in this series! I like his other books, but this one...the main guy seems so flat and lifeless!

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Awww, I love this series. Carter is a bit iffy, but Sadie is awesome. Plus the storyline is excellent, and, well, I love Ancient Egypt and Riordan does it so well.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Yeah! I was so excited about the Egypt aspect, but then I had to read about Carter, who has the personality of a block! And for some reason I never like brother/sister stories. I'll have to give it another chance some day, though.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I really enjoy it. I admit that Carter could use a bit more personality, but he's actually growing a bit. And Sadie is just plain cool.
You should. If you loved PJ I don't see why you don't like this one....

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Yeah, I loved PJ and I even like his other series in the PJ world. One day when I have nothing else to read, I'll pick this series up again. I do remember that Sadie had way more personality than him. Are there any other characters that come into play? Like...boys? LOL!

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I haven't read the Lost Hero yet, although I plan to. I just have to get around to it, lol.
Sure there is. Especially in the 2nd book. There's a whole bunch of new kids that come and train with Carter and Sadie. And yes, there happens to be a boy for Sadie. Although, she kinda has a thing for him and Anubis, so it's kinda interesting, lol.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) I know how that is! I kinda like the whole 3 different POV deal. And yay! And...Anubis?!?!?!?! Like, THE Anubis? Lol!

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Haha. Yep. The Anubis, as in god of the dead. Although in this case, he's a cute teenage boy.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Ohhhhhhhhhhh awesome! I used to collect Anubis statues! Wow! This has enticed me! I like that one of the god's is actually a "teenager." Must...read... :)

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) He's actually not in it a lot though, I think I should let you know that. He hasn't got a big role, but I'm hoping that changes.
There are two gods, Bast and now a new god Bes (dwarf god) that are in it a bit and they're awesome. They crack me up. I think I'm kinda hoping the Sadie ends up with the normal boy, instead of Anubis too. Idk, I just think they'd be cute.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Lol, that's fine. :) The secondary characters in his books usually have pretty small roles, so I'm not expecting too much. OH YES! There's no way she should end up with the god lol! I mean, I haven't even met him yet but I see him more as...intriguing than someone I could see with Sadie, especially considering how young she is.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I still wanna see more of him though.
Even Sadie and her boy have their problems. There's something he's hiding (not gonna say what) that threatens to keep them apart and is sad and bad....

Krista (One Love) (Critical) I'll probably want more of him, too! Well, there have to be problems I guess. I feel like any boy interested in Sadie would really be up for a bumpy ride 'cause she seems kinda wild.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Yeah, but she's a good wild. The kind of wild that isn't too out there. Which I like.

Sarah I'm going to read this soon! :)

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Rachel wrote: "Yeah, but she's a good wild. The kind of wild that isn't too out there. Which I like."

I'm going to reserve judgement on her, since I haven't read enough yet. Hopefully my criticalness doesn't pop up.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Lmao! Yeah, hopefully, although we'll have to see.

message 19: by George (new)

George hello sexy