Annalisa's Reviews > A Wrinkle in Time

Jan 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: middle-grade, sci-fi
Read from January 06 to 18, 2011 — I own a copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wrinkle in Time.

Lisa Vegan Is this your first time reading this book?!

It's been my favorite book (or at least in my top 10 books) since it was published in 1962 when I was nine. I like this cover: A Wrinkle in Time

Annalisa Lisa, strangely enough it is. My daughter had to read a science fiction book this month. She wanted to do When You Reach Me which she read this summer but I made her read something new. It's been waiting on the shelf since you mentioned that nine was a good age to start. We actually started it a week or so ago. She's been enjoying it.

Lisa Vegan Oh good! I'm glad some kids are still liking it.

Kathryn I still remember my 5th grade teacher reading this to us and illustrating the "wrinkle in time" concept by pulling the ends of her skirt together Probably not describing it very clearly, but it definitely stayed with me.:) LOVED this book!

Lisa Vegan Described perfectly, Kathryn.

My fourth grade teacher read it to us, and them my fifth grade teacher read it to us again, with some kids in the class who'd been in the other fourth grade class. We all loved it.

Kathryn Glad you got the picture. :) Lucky you, two years in a row! Mrs. Milkamp reading that book to us is definitely one of my very favorite 5th grade memories.

Lisa Vegan Very lucky. One of my favorite memories, each time, too. When I was in sixth grade, after borrowing it from the library a bunch of times, I bought my own copy. In fourth grade, right before he read A Wrinkle in Time (this cover) when the book was brand new, he read us a book that was 2 years old at the time (this cover of) Meet the Austins. I love that book too. It's an entirely different type of book. But they're still my 2 favorite Madeleine L'Engle books.

Kathryn I LOVE that cover and made sure that edition was on my virtual shelf. Wish I could actually own it! I'll have to check out "Austins" -- never did much with L'Engle after "Wrinkle" although I did try some of the sequels later in life and wasn't as thrilled with them as I was with their origin book.

Lisa Vegan Austins is a wonderful "normal" family story. No science fiction in it at all, although there is in some later Austin books. It's old fashioned now I suppose but it definitely holds up. It's one of my favorite books. I can highly recommend it. Especially with the original cover. Yes, I do get attached to my covers. I own both these books with their original covers. I think you can still get them second hand.

Kathryn I just went to Amazon and didn't see it there but I did recognize the "Dell Yearling" cover from 1962. I had it read to me in 1970 (whew!) so Mrs. Milkamp might have used the Dell edition, I'm not sure. But I defintely have a memory of the "Circles" cover too. Both are very cool!

Annalisa I think the cover you linked is cool too. It makes me sad when a new edition comes out and the original goes out of print. Usually the original is the best cover.

Oh, and Lisa, I've been thinking about you while reading this knowing it's your favorite :).

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Annalisa, It really is. It and Meet the Austins. I love Vicki and Meg, and other characters too. Charles Wallace too. Etc. etc.etc. There is one part in this book where I cry every time I've read it, all more than 100 times. When you've finished it I'll tell you where, and see what your reaction was and your daughter's reaction too.

Annalisa Lisa,

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Annalisa wrote: "Lisa,
I'm curious what the part is where you cried. My daughter really liked it. It was a lot of fun reading it with her."

I love you Charles Wallace. You are the light of my life and the treasure of my heart. I love you. I love you. I love you. Etc. That part, Annalisa.

Annalisa That is a good part :). It was very tender and I loved hearing my daughter reading it.