Lisa's Reviews > The New Good Life: Living Better Than Ever in an Age of Less

The New Good Life by John Robbins

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in January, 2011

I picked up The New Good Life on a whim. I didn't know who John Robbins was nor did I know his program Diet for a New America. Robbins, an heir to the Baskin-Robbins fortune, has experienced financial highs and lows. In The New Good Life he offers suggestions for how to create a life that brings you psychological security and happiness without all the trappings of our consumer culture. He examines how we've gone from being citizens to consumers and how that change has made us less happy, less satisfied and has put us at odds with the environment, when we're not out and out at war with it.

Beginning with his own story of creating wealth after having walked away from his family's money and business, and then loss of his life savings through no fault of his own except to have trusted an advisor who unwittingly turned the investments over to Bernie Madoff, Robbins gives a list and character sketch of money archetypes and explains how they relate to money and how they can find a better way to relate to money.

Robbins transitions to the practical by outlining how to learn where your money is spent, how much money you actually earn per hour and how you can re-examine and readjust your spending, save money and reduce your impact on the environment.

I was especially happy to find recipes for food and for making cleaning supplies. I've worried for a while that we're marinating in petro-chemicals each and every day and have wanted a comprehensive list of safe cleaning supplies and personal care items.

I recommend this book for its readability, practical information and for how it approaches the "new normal." As our family has adjusted to having half its income, we've found that some things are easy to do without while others are harder to let go. As we still live and work in a middle class world and have children attending school with peers whose families haven't been so negatively by this economy, we've struggled with meshing reality with old expectations. Do middle schoolers really need a full-color yearbook, for example. And don't get me started on electronics and gadgetry.

We've always known that we couldn't keep up with the Joneses, but now that we truly do not have the means to even try, we're learning how to find peace with this knowledge, to not compare ourselves and to understand that the life we have now can be full and satisfying without debt and within our means.

What I learned from John Robbins' book will help.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Good Life.

message 1: by Jaehyuk Jung (new)

Jaehyuk Jung I love your review.

Lisa Jaehyuk Jung wrote: "I love your review."

Thank you.