M—'s Reviews > The Last Hero: A Discworld Fable

The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett

Jun 13, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels, reviewed

Really very good. I enjoyed the text story despite the fact I dislike the Rincewind and Carrot characters, and they had nearly top billing. I found the about-face of the Silver Horde a little weak, but the post-climax actions of all the characters were so well-done I can hardly fault it.

The Kidby illustrations were extraordinary beyond measure. The book's worth finding if only to look at them; the art is as much or more the heart of this book as the text.

This is not, strictly speaking, the best of the Discworld stories by any means, but it's highly recommended to even a casual Pratchett fan. And it's possibly the top-pick of the Discworld books to read in commemoration to Pratchett's inevitable death (may his health stretch to pen a dozen more novels). Fitting in so may ways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Hero.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John I hadn't realized until I looked it up that Kidby died the year this published.

I think Kidby is still very much alive and that you're thinking of Josh Kirby, who did the classic Pratchett covers in the UK and who did indeed die in 2001.

M— Indeed! Thanks for that.