butter be scotch's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Jan 20, 11

Read in January, 2010

The fifth book of Harry Potter is pushing the main plot further (at last). Now that Harry had been aware of the prophecy between him and Voldemort. However, of all the five books so far this is I don’t like most. It is more character-driven rather than plot-driven. Harry is now showing mood swings. His expression of anger and frustration really steps into adulthood. Though I don’t blame or condemn the thought, because one or another each of us will mature and I appreciate Rowling never did take that out, it is just that I have known the series (for the past few books) as full of adventure and mysteries. The book surely didn’t satisfy my hunger. Like the way Harry has been deprived of the information of works of the Order and even though he did has some actions on the last part but it was not really that promising.

But surely, there are some things I quite enjoy. One of them is the new character, Umbridge, a very strict disciplinarian and is in the conspiracy to sabotage the whole Hogwarts. She brings more emotional experience throughout the novel. Limiting the action of the main characters and provoking them to some extent. Seriously, you will hate her. The Twin Weasleys getting rebellious is something to look forward also the formation of the Dumbledore’s Army. I would have like a more intense and memorable fight of between Dumbledore and Voldemort. Also the confession of Dumbledore to how he treats Harry, I like it but it was less straightforward.

Personally, I think the book is just too long for its content. The chapter of Grawp is not really necessary (or will it in the next book?) and some narration is rather boring than expected. It also brings flashbacks like the relationship between James and Snape. Overall this book is the most complex and less interesting of all installments of the Harry Potter series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jean Pearl (new)

Jean Pearl i like this review reb!!!