Erica's Reviews > The Abstinence Teacher

201696
Jan 30, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: 2008
Recommended for: people who don't want to think
Read in January, 2008

I saw this book on the "new" stand at Barnes and Noble and was intrigued. Not because I'm into abstinence or because the title had the word "teacher" in it, but because I liked the movie Little Children which was based on Tom Perrotta's novel.

This novel is about Ruth, a high school sex ed teacher who is divorced and trying to deal with her school administration's policy on teaching abstinence, her youngest daughter's Christian born-again soccer coach, and her newfound single life.

I liked it. Sorta. The writing feels like it was not edited and Perrotta does not do a good job of letting the reader create their own interpretation of the characters, nor does he tie up loose ends with several character sub-plots. Perhaps I was reading this book the wrong way. I was expecting a well thought out and maybe even "thought-provoking" story. Instead, I got a cheesy paperback novel that I would find on the $1 shelves at The Strand.

Overall Grade: 2.3333 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Abstinence Teacher.