Kelly's Reviews > The Mists of Avalon

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

May 24, 2007

bookshelves: fantasy-and-scifi, fiction, owned, 20th-century-postwar-to-late, grand-opera
Recommended for: fantasy lovers, arthurian scholars, young women, feminists
Read in June, 2000

I read this book when I was in my mid-teens, and in the midst of an Arthurian obsession phase. These are mythical characters that have been written on so many times and by legendary figures who are almost myths themselves. It's a really hard subject to tackle without derision. I do think she filled a niche in what could otherwise be a very chauvinistic, idealized genre.

I haven't read this recently, so I don't know if I would still connect to it as much as I did when I read it all those years ago. It teaches something about never taking a story for granted, and the fact that there's a side even to the purportedly evil people that can be more sympathetic than we realize. It's like "Wicked" in that way, only less cliched. Plus, this one was first!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mists of Avalon.

10/19/2016 marked as: read

Miriam I do think she filled a niche in what could otherwise be a very chauvanistic, idealized genre. She managed to make it feminist, which is kind of incredible.

You know who else did this? William Morris. It is weird to me that he never seems to get any credit for how feminist he was (especially for a Victorian). Maybe it's the beard.