Patsy Gantt's Reviews > Winter Garden

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

Jan 19, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from January 15 to 19, 2011

This book captured my attention immediately. It was so depressing in the beginning that I almost put it aside, but now I'm so happy that I didn't. Anya's secrets are so heartbreaking. She clearly loves her husband and he dearly loves their daughters. But Anya's secret keeps her from showing love to the girls. The only place Anya seems to find peace is in her husband' presence, in telling her fairy tales, and in her Winter Garden. As the book unfolds, we find out the importance of the garden and the reasons behind its design but there are surprises still to come. I couldn't figure out why there was no color in the garden. Even in the summer, it is all green and white - no color. But Hannah finally explains it and I cried and cried. In fact, as you get to the end of the book, you will want to have a hankie close by. The ending was so satisfying that I re-read the last chapter and boo hooed again. Great character development. You will get so mad at the characters for some of their choices. Yet you so fully understand them that your heart breaks for them even while they are making poor choices. This would make a great movie.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Garden.