Katrina's Reviews > Old World Murder

bookshelves: adult, mystery
Recommended to Katrina by: 2010 Literacy Awards Committee
Recommended for: Adult Mystery Fans
Read from January 13 to 17, 2011, read count: 1

You had me from page one. A really compelling story that kept the pages turning. The plot and setting is incredibly original (a curator of Old World Wisconsin!) I like Chloe's character and the subtle mystery of her past. She is funny, flawed, and makes you root for her the whole way. Officer McKenna is also a well written character, though he didn't help solve the mystery too much and his over-protection of Chloe started to get on my nerves. Luckily Chloe's extreme feminism helped to balance the power struggle. All the characters are so complex and flushed out. Every detail of there personalities ring true and match up with their backgrounds perfectly. And, I can't lie, it's fun to read a story that takes place near where I grew up.

I found it interesting that Ernst decided to set this story in 1982. I didn't think it added extra dimension to the story. But that's just a nit-picky thing.

A great suspenseful novel that keeps you guessing and it appears to be the first in a series--can't wait to read more!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old World Murder.