Hirondelle's Reviews > Dragon Sword and Wind Child

Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara

Mar 10, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from March 08 to 10, 2011

This was a different book than I expected. It has more similarities to the current fashion for YA romantic adventure fantasy ( the female main character getting a boyfriend who is a vampire/werewolf/angel/demon/dragon/god/whatevertheywillthinkofnext) in a very different tone (mythologic) and setting, a prehistoric type of fantasy Japan. I head this compared to The Lord of the Rings, or Narnia, or many other things, but I would only compare it to one of the longish chapters in the Silmarillion, but Japanese and romantic-YA style.

The setting and different type of writing, different type of character psychology are truly very interesting. The writing is plainer, simpler and more direct than I expected, which contributes to it being a fast read. There are many hints in the translation of its original richness in echoes in the original Japanese. As it was, I feel I got an idea of the original but the language was not always perfectly on-tone with my expectations of pre-historical society with many characters which are gods, either too idiomatic ("i´ve had it with you", the sun goddess to her moon twin brother) or words just sounding too modern (enviromnent). But translating is a thankless task, and I am very happy to have read this translation.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Sword and Wind Child.

03/08/2011 page 135
45.0% "It is interesting. But very different of what i expected."