Andy's Reviews > Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said

Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick

Feb 25, 11

When I read the first few pages of this book, I thought the characters were cliche and the dialog predictable. For example, the egocentric TV show host and the mega-starlet who hates her fame, and together they dodge fans-- yawn. Then the pace of the story changes, and our protagonist is nearly killed by a jealous lover. Later, from out of nowhere, a story about rabbit wanting to become a cat becomes a heart-wrenching metaphor for the limitations of human endeavor. This is where PKD is enigmatic; the possible topics, ideas, directions, and so on, appear to be limitless. He begins with the hard boiled detective, a worn-out genre, but his stories end somewhere else: between Camus and Kafka. Literary snobs should take note, and some have already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin Mitchell Oh, I don't know, his prose is just so...pedestrian...but, you know, I might rip off some of his ideas or something, but be sure not to give him any credit.

Andy Ha! Yes, you have successfully transcribed the thoughts of certain Hollywood screenwriters. Also, I read that many of PKD's books are optioned now. And I've been meaning to respond to your other comment: I'm getting used to the balance between PKD's speed-induced prose and the ideas born out of his dopamine saturated brain (not due to speed).

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin Mitchell Certain Hollywood screenwriters and many, many uber-successful mainstream writers of middling vision, Paul Auster and Phillip Roth to name a couple...

Andy Phillip Roth? I had no idea. Lame. I always expected Paul Auster of being overrated and... (sounds very harsh) derivative.

Jonathan I'll take a novel with exciting/thought provoking ideas executed in "pedestrian" prose over a "beautifully" written portrait of middle-class angst, bla bla, ANYtime. People knock Vonnegut's prose a lot, too, but they're both great storytellers with humor, heart, and original things to say, in my opinion.

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin Mitchell Agreed.

message 7: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne Great review, Andy. This goes to the top of my to-read list.

message 8: by Christi (new)

Christi I liked that passage about the rabbit wanting to be a cat, but I just don't think I am one of PKD's fans in general.