Jane's Reviews > Tris's Book

F_50x66
Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Recommended to Jane by: Raffi
Recommended for: young adults, readers of YA fiction, those not looking for complexity
Read from January 06 to 07, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Decently done, manages to keep with much of the consistency in the magic system introduced in the first book of this series ( Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, #1) by Tamora PierceTamora Pierce). The group of four tightens up their friendship here and it begins to feel more believable as a coherent friendship group. I did not like the overuse of the typical young adult fantasy trope where "bad things happen" and the only way for things to be solved is "main characters are magic, they'll fix it all!" Ugh. I don't always need a big climax that's action related. Moral quandries are interesting as well, and the author had plenty of fodder for that as well. Instead, it looks like she's saving that for going over in the big arc of the story, with the tension of "what is and isn't ethical/safe with magic use?" being the generic background tension. Not sure I really like that, but we'll see where it goes (if I can drag myself through the third book).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tris's Book.