Min's Reviews > Bookmarked For Death

Bookmarked For Death by Lorna Barrett

Jan 15, 11

Read in January, 2011

In this book (the second of the Booktown Mystery series), Tricia Miles holds a signing for mystery author Zoe Carter. But before the event ends, Zoe is found dead in the bathroom of the mystery bookstore, Haven't a Clue. The main suspect is Zoe's niece Kimberly, who was a holy terror during the signing and was even sent home early by Zoe because of her behaviour.

Unlike the first book, when Tricia starts investigating because she's the main suspect, her impetus for investigating this time is because her bookstore gets shut down by the town sheriff as a crime scene. Because of events in the first book, there is no love lost between Tricia and the sheriff, and Tricia is convinced that the sheriff will drag her feet on the investigation just to keep the store closed and hurt Tricia. Tricia quickly uncovers a viable motive (it appears that Zoe probably didn't write the books herself), but finding suspects (including whether Kimberly could have done it) is another matter.

During this book, Tricia is also balancing her budding romance with Russ, the local weekly newspaper writer, and her relationship with her sister Angelica, who has opened a cookbook store next door and is dating a man Tricia can't stand.

This book had great pacing, and I enjoyed the plot. The subplot about the geese was a little tedious at times, but also representative about what happens in small towns with lakes, so I didn't mind as much as some other reviewers seem to have. I like how the relationships between some of the characters are developing as the series has continued. It's a great little cozy, and I'm looking forward to the third book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bookmarked For Death.