Sam's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Mar 09, 11

Room was a very interesting book. It was written from a 5 year old child's point of view, which was interesting at first. To just be dumped into a childs mind after reading books set mainly in third person, or at least first person of an older adult, made quite an impact. Children see things as they are, and it was fascinating to understand and go back to that way of thinking again.

The actual story is about a mother and her son trapped in a 11 x 11 garden shed. The mother was in college when she had been kidnapped, and had been living in this "room" ever since. She bore the man's child, and when he was just 5 years old, she tried to explain what had happened as best she could, and she came up with a plan to set them both free.

The book was told through the eyes of her son, and it was very well written. This book was very intense, but I found it very good, and I have to say that it was a book that really made me think about the dangers of everyday life, and how to take pride in little miracles that may come along.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.