Fedora's Reviews > Out of the Light, Into the Shadows

Out of the Light, Into the Shadows by Lori Foster

U 50x66
Jan 15, 2011

Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I am a big fan of anthologies but haven't really read Lori and Erin's darker stories--these were really good! Lori's were related to each other, and Erin's were apparently part of her Vegas Vampire's series (which I haven't read yet). The stories were easily read without additional context, and had enough connections to make me happy--I love series stories, so this fit the bill nicely.

Lori Foster's Have Mercy--Mercedes Jardine has been with Wyatt Reyes for six months. She finds out she's pregnant and proposes, hoping for the best, but he's got a dark past that makes him unwilling to commit to permanence, much less a family. (She doesn't tell him why she proposes.)

Erin McCarthy's Deal or No Deal--Katie Stolin's really a Russian princess; Nick, a bodyguard, saves her and her brother Peter from certain death on the day the rest of their family is executed, and turns them to save their lives. She believes her then fiance Michael St. Markov betrayed them, by being the one responsible for turning their family in. He's spent the intervening years looking for her, and catches up to her because she puts a special necklace that contains the blood of all the ancient vampires. Of course, the bad guy wants it, too...

L.L. Foster's Total Control--Mercedes's older brother Braxton Jardine has superpowers--mind-control and emotional control. He's been longing for his buttoned-down assistant, Cameo Smithson, for ages, and decides to reveal himself after he fires her.

Erin McCarthy's Undead Man's Hand--Nick Stolin, the "uncle," meets detective Jordan Waters when she's investigating a string of serial killings.

I liked that for the most part, everyone was pretty smart and none of the conflicts got dragged out unnecessarily over piddling points. Nicely written, hot scenes, and overall a fun set of stories to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Light, Into the Shadows.