Rachel's Reviews > Back Roads

Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell

Jan 15, 2011

liked it
Read from January 15 to 19, 2011

This was my first time reading an Oprah selection and I was disappointed. While it is a story that moved easily along, integrating me into the lives of the characters, I felt repulsed by the description of certain events in the book. To call it "gritty" doesn't quite capture how gross certain scene descriptions can be. And in those moments, I could no longer believe in the characters or the events in their lives. I was intrigued by the psychology of Harley, and the unfortunate circumstances of the characters' lives. I was hoping Harley's psychosis would have developed more completely so that the twist ending led me on a more intense ride. As it is, the other characters psychological issues aren't fully explored to create the needed suspension at the end of the story. Too many characters with too many flaws stemming from the events of their lives, until I could no longer believe in the integrity of the characters or the story. Somewhere towards the end, it fell apart instead of coming together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back Roads.