Sean Kennedy's Reviews > The Last Whale

The Last Whale by Chris Pash

Jan 16, 11

Read from January 15 to 17, 2011

Albany, in the southwest of Western Australia, is one of my favourite places in the world. It has a beautiful coastline that lends itself to sheer romanticism, and the fact that it has a history of whaling no doubt plays into that. It was also the site of the last whaling station in Australia, closed for both financial and societal reasons at the end of the seventies. This book gives quite a balanced view of the people involved in the fight both for and against whaling. The people of Albany took a bit of a battering when the whaling station closed down, but funnily enough whaling tourism helped revitalise it.

The one complaint I have about the book, and it is really just one, is that it comes across quite flat in places - which is odd considering the amount of passion displayed by people on both sides of the debate.

If you ever get the chance to travel to Albany, you must. The whaling station still stands, but now is a museum and it is well worth a visit. Not only does it stand as a monument to whaling history, it also works as a reminder of the beauty of whales and how we must continue to fight for their survival.

(3.5 / 5)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Whale.