Gemma Thomson's Reviews > The Great Book of Amber

2331913
Dec 11, 2011

bookshelves: gifts, fantasy
Recommended to Gemma by: John Carter McKnight
Recommended for: Fantasy lovers and those who enjoy parallel-world sci-fi.
Read from January 19 to March 31, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 2

First read: It's hard to summarise such a long book, since the "Great Book" is a compilation of smaller tales; but it's one done so well that it's hard to notice the joins. Zelazny's created a world rich in politics and fantasy, and has framed it in a way that is easy to follow. Its protagonists will take a few moments to bring us back up to speed - particularly useful when there have been a number of murder plots and metaphysical conflicts within a short period of time!

It's a shame, then, that the series doesn't really end. I understand that this is because the author sadly passed away - a sorry footnote to a world which had thoroughly absorbed me for a good few weeks.

Second read: I'm still thoroughly impressed with Corwin's tale, and the first part of Merlin's, for the reasons described above. I found the last book unreadable, however. I'd have to cite another reviewer here when I say that the complete u-turns and bizarre plot twists which mark the end are utterly ridiculous. (view spoiler) It all makes pretty hard reading, and it tramples down upon all the subtle politicking which Zelazny set up for the chronicle's beginning. What a shame. Oh, and yes, it still feels like a gyp to not have this novel conclude, despite the circumstances. (view spoiler)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Book of Amber.

01/22/2011 page 107