Trix's Reviews > Shadows Return

Shadows Return by Lynn Flewelling

Jan 15, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, sorcery, sword, hard-copy
Read from January 14 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

For some reason, I found the third novel to be less exciting than the first two. However, the fourth novel seems to have made up for any lacking in 3.

[spoiler ahead] There wasn't that much action, really, if you think about it. They head off to Aurenen only to be kidnapped, dragged through a slave market then imprisoned by a Plenimaran lord. Much of the plot of the book develops within those walls. But it was the despair encompassed with the main characters in that villa that pulls at the attention of the reader (at least this reader). I usually like my books a bit more cheery, but introducing a mad yet lucid alchemist and his sterile approach at the tortures displayed, a broken slave half crazy for Seregil and no other friends in sight to ask for help... well, it doesn't get any more lonely and despairing. I admit the author had quite a creative imagination for this volume, as some of the punishments almost left me heaving. And by mid book, I was as depressed and faithless as Alec and Seregil felt.

It was a crude world, but only such a place could stomach to create a rhekaro. And yet, just like Alex, I found myself strangely attached to the strange elixir/child. With all its oddities or maybe because of it, he was endearing and despite proof of his deadly nature, I too, felt like protecting him.

The most intense scene was of course, towards the end. Alec's sacrifice was not extremely original but the effect was just the same. I could not believe they would actually die there, together. And Sebrahn's white flowers seemed appropriate when his song could kill.[end spoiler]

I really enjoyed this book. Not only for the touching moments and romantic closeness of Seregil and Alec but also for the helpless feeling that passed through the pages, the wondrous magic and ideas that created the plot and last but not least, the happy ending that I always seek.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows Return.