Martin Röll's Reviews > Finite and Infinite Games: A Vision of Life as Play and Possibility

Finite and Infinite Games by James P. Carse

Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: philosophy, life, sexuality, games, society, travel, ecology, communication, design, technology
Recommended to Martin by: Dennis
Read from January 29 to June 26, 2011, read count: 1

The first three sections were amazing and intense - the last sections interesting but less gripping. Maybe because their topics didn't interest me as much or maybe because the main point (if the book has a "point" - it is more about perspective than a point) had become clear to me.
This is not a book that needs to be read in its entirety. It is sufficient to dive into it and and be penetrated by its tone to understand the meaning.
I read this book only once so far, but while doing so, I gave it away to five friends (I actually bought six copies of the book over the five months that I was reading it!) - I have never done this with any other book. Very much recommended. It will go well with a copy of the Tao Te Ching and The Timeless Way of Building I think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finite and Infinite Games.

Quotes Martin Liked

“A finite game is played for the purpose of winning, an infinite game for the purpose of continuing the play.”
James P. Carse, Finite and Infinite Games: A Vision of Life as Play and Possibility

03/17/2011 page 45
show 3 hidden updates…

Martin Röll Started it on the plane, read two chapters, then they stole it from me. Must be a good book. ;-)

Martin Röll Buying three more copies to give away today. Haven't done this with any other book so far.