Anne Nikoline's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, dystopian-post-apocalyptic
Recommended to Anne Nikoline by: the temping rumours
Recommended for: vamp fans longing for some new
Read from April 11 to 29, 2012

First of all, let us get one thing straight: Julie Kagawa is an excellent writer of the twenty-first century; she can take what seems like very little and then turn it upside down and into a masterpiece. I bet she was the best in kindergarten when the plasticine came out.

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa made me nervous the first time I heard that Kagawa was writing on a vampire novel. Vampires have been written about too many times that I feared she would not be able to bring something new into the universe of fanged creatures. She did. Once again this kick-ass woman shows how well she handles mythical creatures, and for that she deserves a big ol' high five.

That said, I still feel a little ambivalent about The Immortal Rules. Even though Kagawa managed to add something new into the story, I also think lots of things were too much of a cliché and by that I mean the last half of the novel and the love story. Opposite most people I actually prefer the first half of the novel even though the killings made me a bit grumpy.

I do not think I will buy or reread this nook any time soon maybe never again. I was glad I got the opportunity to read it because thte writing was as usual great and catching.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

Quotes Anne Nikoline Liked

Julie Kagawa
“I recognized it instantly. It was a made-up story, a fantasy, the tale of four kids who went through a magic wardrobe and found themselves in a strange new world. I'd read it more times than I could remember, and although I sneered at the thought of a magical land with friendly, talking animals, there were times when I wished, in my most secret moments, that I could find a hidden door that would take us allout of this place.”
Julie Kagawa, The Immortal Rules

04/11/2012 page 23
5.0% "It has been ages since I've read a promising YA novel with a paranormal twist. *high five* Kagawa!" 2 comments
04/29/2012 page 152
31.0% "Got some catching up to do."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nina (Niinjax) Spændende!!

Anne Nikoline Yup! Nu hvor vi se, hvad det bliver til. So far har den været ret forudsigelig.

Nina (Niinjax) Okay :-) Håber ikke det spolerer det for meget for dig og at det bliver bedre!

Maja Hvor har du læst bogen hvis du ikke har købt den? :)

Anne Nikoline Netgalley tror jeg nok. Der kan me sende forespørgelser på ibøger.

Tabitha (Pabkins) Its nice to see I'm not the only one who wasn't overly impressed.

Anne Nikoline I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it that much either, but I'm glad that you're in this with me. I've been feeling so alone in all the hype.