Charlotte Dungan's Reviews > Bringing it to the Table: On Farming and Food

Bringing it to the Table by Wendell Berry

Sep 30, 11

Read from January 15 to September 30, 2011

I got this book from the library again just to I could quote this one section (page 35):

"With industrialization has come a general depreciation of work. As the price of work has gone up, the value of it has gone down, until now it is so depressed that people simply do not want to do it anymore. We can say without exaggeration that the present national ambition of the United States is unemployment. People live for quitting time, for weekends, for vacations, and for retirement; moreover, this ambition seems to be classless, as true in the executive suites as on the assembly lines. One works not because the work is necessary, valuable, useful to a desirable end, or because one loves to do it, but only to be able to quit - a condition that a saner time would regard as infernal, a condemnation. This is explained, of course, by the dullness of the work, by the loss of responsibility for, or credit for, or knowledge of the thing made. What be the status of the working small farmer in a nation whose motto is a sign of relief: 'Thank God it's Friday?'"

He discusses at length the importance of the family farm, the reason that they are fulfilling for both the farmer and the land and the community and our country. From the next page:

"The family farm is failing because it belongs to an order of values and a kind of life that are failing." There is too much to quote here, but it is worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing it to the Table.