Marleen's Reviews > The Beach Club

The Beach Club by Elin Hilderbrand

Jan 15, 2011

bookshelves: elin-hilderbrand
Read from February 13 to 17, 2011

***3,5 stars*** Having read Blue Bistro by this author, I knew Ms. Hilderbrand to be a talented writer. She simply does an excellent job depicting characters and places and making them come alive. As it turns out, I genuinely enjoy reading about the ins and outs of the hotel business as a working place (or the restaurant business as a working place - like in Blue Bistro). The fact that this author picks Nantucket Island to set her books in adds so much charm and enchantment to them. I have never been to Nantucket Island but I’ve been close to the area. I’ll never forget my trip to the Cape. I loved everything about it and reading this book brings it all back. It’s the author’s ability to describe the scenery, the architecture, the sounds and the smells that make it work.
Mainly this story is about the inter-relationships between co-workers, lovers, parents and children during one particular summer season, which will be very defining for all of them. I loved the multitude of characters. In all honesty, taking separately, none of the characters were exactly charismatic or outstanding. I thought that they were rather emotionally stunted – and definitely needed a lot of growing up to do; which they do eventually, though with little baby steps, during this particular summer. All in all, I was absolutely entertained, because indeed there's also humor here, and I look forward reading more of Elin Hilderbrand’s books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beach Club.

06/01/2016 marked as: read