Bev's Reviews > Mary Ann in Autumn

Mary Ann in Autumn by Armistead Maupin

Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read in December, 2010

I have been a fan of Maupin's "Tales of the City" series since the very first tale was serialized in the San Francisco Chronicle a bazillion years ago. I was thrilled when "Tales" was first published in book form and have followed each subsequent book as it has been published (I think I read three of them in serialized version in the Chronicle). This latest book does not disappoint.

All the major characters are back, all older now. Mary Ann is pushing 60 and has returned from New York to be with her best friend Michael (Mouse) as she deals with a major life crisis. Mrs. Madrigal has sold the place on Barbary Lane, and is now living in an old house, with a roommate (new character). She's older, slower, but still rolling those funny cigarettes and giving sage advice. Mouse is happily married to Ben, whom he married before it was outlawed in California again.

Mostly it's familiar characters having talks like old times and I have to admit that part of the way through it, though I was enjoying it, I was wondering what the point of it all was, as the chapters rolled by. But then Something Happened that brought all the seemingly disparate pieces together and that reminded me of why I enjoy Maupin's writings so much.

I also love Maupin because he mentions places I know intimately and tosses out lines like "Was it fun...Johnny O?" and I know instantly that it's from Vertigo, a movie which has a scene filmed just a couple of blocks from the house where I grew up.

If you've been a fan of Maupin's books before, you'll enjoy this one too. I don't know that he has another in the Tales series in him....everybody is getting too old for a sequel!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Ann in Autumn.