Parka's Reviews > Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites

Beasts of Burden by Evan Dorkin

Dec 05, 12

bookshelves: comics
Read in January, 2011

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

It's rare to see animals as main characters in comics. That's one of the main reason I picked up the book. The other reason is because the art from Jill Thompson looks good.

The general premise is about a group of dogs and cats dealing with seemingly supernatural events that are happening around their neighbourhood. The story is darker than I thought but well written and told. The characters have personalities and the stories are fun and exciting.

One thing that really bugged me is the lettering used. The whole story is told in a series of short chapters - maybe that was how the original comic was released but I'm not sure. The lettering is inconsistent throughout the chapters. There are the all uppercase (typical), sentence case (not so bad), sentence case but with uppercase height (worst of the lot in terms of legibility), and sometimes the animals will have their own unique lettering style. The inconsistency of lettering is quite jarring across chapters.

The comic overall is entertaining but the lettering takes away a bit of the experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beasts of Burden.