Wombok's Reviews > East of Eden

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Jan 14, 11

bookshelves: favorites

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East of Eden.

Quotes Wombok Liked

John Steinbeck
“But the Hebrew word, the word timshel—‘Thou mayest’— that gives a choice. It might be the most important word in the world. That says the way is open. That throws it right back on a man. For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.”

John Steinbeck
“It seems to me that if you or I must choose between two courses of thought or action, we should remember our dying and try so to live that our death brings no pleasure to the world.”

John Steinbeck
“I'll want to hear,' Samuel said. 'I eat stories like grapes.”

John Steinbeck
“I believe a strong woman may be stronger than a man, particularly if she happens to have love in her heart. I guess a loving woman is indestructible.”

John Steinbeck
“And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual. This is what I am and what I am about.”

John Steinbeck
“People like you to be something, preferably what they are.”

John Steinbeck
“Do you take pride in your hurt? Does it make you seem large and tragic? ...Well, think about it. Maybe you're playing a part on a great stage with only yourself as audience.”

John Steinbeck
“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.”

John Steinbeck
“Don't you dare take the lazy way. It's too easy to excuse yourself because of your ancestry. Don't let me catch you doing it! Now -- look close at me so you will remember. Whatever you do, it will be you who do.”