Gina's Reviews > A Kiss of Shadows

A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jan 26, 11

bookshelves: romance, urban-fantasy
Read from January 14 to 26, 2011

Let me start with the things I really enjoyed about this book. The fae are well-developed and the history (what glimpses of it we see) is believable. You feel like this earth, with humans and monsters and fae living side-by-side could really exist. The descriptions are elegant and verbose, if at times a little clunky in terms of moving the pace along. The men were gorgeous; and I could appreciate the fact that their seperate personalities are so distinct. I both loved and hated the feeling that this is just the beginning of a much larger story.

Moving on to the parts of the narrative I didn't like; I'm just going to jump right to the most distressing. I really didn't like Merry. This isn't the first time I've not felt a connection to a lady main character; and in this case, I'm fairly sure that its because Meredith is so sure of herself. She spends a great amount of time telling us about how she wasn't a part of either Faerie court. To Unseelie for the Seelie court, too human for the Unseelies. Yet she's absolutely confident in herself as a woman, lover and detective. Personally I would have enjoyed reading Merry coming into her confidence at the onset of her powers, rather than the attitude she takes. Still, I was able to get past that since there's something about the plot that keeps pushing you on.

In the end, I'm probably going to read the second book. I do want to know what happens; and that wins out over whatever little dislikes I had. The sex scenes, while steamy, aren't too much for me, and as a survivor I was really happy about Merry's reaction to the almost date-rape that occured at Alistair's hands.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kiss of Shadows.