Zeek's Reviews > Prozac Nation

Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel

Jan 14, 11

bookshelves: literary, non-fiction
Read in March, 2009

Okay, depression sucks. I get that. I can't imagine having to live with that kind of debilitation.

But this book made me want to shake the author for being so whiny, bratty, and just plain old selfish. The entire book is a re-telling of how she had been dealt a bad hand and how her life stunk, even though she was really no different from millions of other people. After the billionth time reading how much emotional pain she was in despite the fact she made it though HARVARD no less and was quite accomplished professionally- I started skimming.

And then, THEN she got ahold of Prozac and it all ended- as did the book, for that matter.

A memoir written in the 90's, I'm sure it was difficult to have a self-cutting, emo personality back then. But today, being an eyelined, spiky haired emotional child is trendy- perhaps due in part to books such as these- and therefore has lost it's impact.

In the end of the edition I read, the author threw in an Afterwards where she acknowledged how self-absorbed she was during her depression years and revealed that was the point of the novel.

Apparently it's okay to be an emotionally spoiled child - if your disease is depression.

Point well made.

2 out of 5 from me. While an excellent window into the world of a depressive, like the emoes Prozac Nation has spawned, it was a bit much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prozac Nation.