Autumn Blues Reviews's Reviews > Love, Honor, and Betray

Love, Honor, and Betray by Kimberla Lawson Roby

Jan 14, 11

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in January, 2011

Twisted tale of lust that leaves you wanting more.

The infamous Reverend Curtis Black's sordid past is no secret, as his wife, Charlotte, is well aware. But when Curtis' long-time mistress and mother of his illegitimate two-year-old, dies, he and Charlotte have no choice but to raise Curtina together. While the living, breathing reminder of her husband's infidelity infuriates Charlotte, Curtis couldn't be happier to finally have his whole family together. Despite her best efforts to keep her feelings hidden, Charlotte resents Curtina, taking her emotions out on the young girl. When confronted about her behavior Charlotte starts spending time away from home, all the while getting closer to her ex-boyfriend. Curtis appears to devote himself to his parish and the new church they're building, but is he really focusing his attention on the female parishioners trying to lure him into bed? Suddenly Curtis and Charlotte find themselves slipping into dangerous territory, and not even Curtis' seven-figure salary can prevent what is about to happen.

I found this book to be a little slow to start and thought Kimberla Roby could have done a better job in the first few chapters. Actually I was getting tired of hearing how much Charlotte hated her husbands illegitimate daughter. The story does pickup in later chapters and it turned into a real eye opener. I was even surprised by some twists and turns in the plot, I was not expecting. I think the title of the book should be Lust, Honor, and Betray since Charlotte seems not to know what love is and seems only familiar with lust.

Charlotte's ignorance toward the life of an innocent child shows she is a total idiot. Why her husband Curtis tolerates her is beyond me. Curtis sounds like a hot preacher and it makes one wonder if some woman that do attend service lust after preachers if they are good looking. However, I found it a little far fetched at one point when a woman actually moved from another town just to live near a Curtis. When Curtis did not even know she existed at the point. So I felt a little lost with that situation. I don't want to give anything away so you will have to read it for yourself. I don't usually read books of this nature and have not read Kimberla Lawson Roby before. However I do want to provide a wide variety to my readers. I found this book to be a good read although the ending was uneventful. Which left me thinking Kimberla Roby is not done with the Reverend Curtis Black Series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, Honor, and Betray.