Elise Stokes's Reviews > The Running Man

The Running Man by Richard Bachman

Sep 20, 13

This was the first and most likely the last Stephen King novel I'll read. I'd always been curious about King as a writer, but didn't want to read anything gory. I was told "The Running Man" wasn't, which is true. This novel is a great thriller, but had a horribly sad, unsatisfying ending. What can I say? I like a happy ending, and I don't think King does "happy."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Running Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mcs (new)

Mcs Try The Eye of the Dragon. It's fantasy/adventure, and not his typical gory book. I read it years ago when I was trying to hold conversations with middle schoolers who really liked his work.

message 2: by Elise (last edited Jan 15, 2011 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elise Stokes I will. Thanks. I really like King's writing style, his attention to details; it was just that blasted ending I didn't care for. Maybe I'll rewrite the ending and publish it on Fan Fiction. :)

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt The Eye of the Dragon is the only King book I have read. Very unimpressed by it. Very!

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Wing I love his book 'The Stand'

message 5: by C.M. (last edited Sep 21, 2013 04:20AM) (new)

C.M. (aka Pearl Barley) I think his most recent 11.22.63 is by far one of my favourites to date. Diehard fans know his writing style changes over time and I have to admit that Dead Zone, Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile more than make up for any disappointment I've experienced with his earlier contributions. I simply couldn't get into Wizard and Glass.

Elise Stokes Matt wrote: "The Eye of the Dragon is the only King book I have read. Very unimpressed by it. Very!"

Thank you, Matt. I'll take a look at it. :)

Elise Stokes Tammy wrote: "I love his book 'The Stand'"

I watched the mini-series years ago and really enjoyed it. It's been so long, however, that I can't recall the premise clearly. I'll have to check it out. Thanks, Tammy. :)

Elise Stokes Pearl wrote: "I think his most recent 11.22.63 is by far one of my favourites to date. Diehard fans know his writing style changes over time and I have to admit that Dead Zone, Shawshank Redemption and The Gree..."

I didn't realize he wrote Shawshank Redemption. The movie was brilliant. I may take a closer look at his other work. I was told his novel that Stand By Me is based on wasn't overly graphic? Thanks, Pearl. :)

message 9: by Matt (new)

Matt Elise, re-read my comment.

message 10: by Dana (new)

Dana Griffin I've read many of his novels, but haven't this one. I might have too to see what you're talking about.

Elise Stokes Oops, Matt. What a difference a couple letters can make. ;) Okay, it isn't going on my TBR list. Thank you. :) Dana, I did enjoy it. Enough so that I was compelled to create alternative endings in my head. Really, Stephen, what's your objection to a happy ending? Guess it doesn't come with the genre. :)