Chibineko's Reviews > Higurashi When They Cry: Eye Opening Arc, Vol. 1

Higurashi When They Cry by Ryukishi07

Mar 03, 2011

bookshelves: awesomeness, manga, murder, mystery, horror, thriller, cool-as-heck
Read in March, 2011

We're finally here. This is the start of the answer arcs of Higurashi, so be on the lookout for all sorts of clues as to who the perpetrator is. (Assuming you haven't already gone to wikipedia or one of the many fansites out there & looked everything up or watched the second season of the anime.)

This arc concerns itself with the Sonozaki sisters Shion & Mion. It picks up a few years before the series normally begins (with Keichi not yet appearing) & we get to finally meet the possibly ill fated & mysterious Satoshi. We discover Shion's infatuation with him & how this turn of the Higurashi wheel will eventually spiral into a painful & sad ending.

I know I've said this before, but I love how each arc of the series has a different artist. It captures how similar yet different each turn is & manages to keep the reader from becoming too overly adjusted to the look & feel of the various characters. I have to admit, I didn't know if I'd like this arc due to the pretty strong themes of abuse & neglect that run through it. This isn't as hard to read as some of the other volumes in the series, but I'll warn people that it's pretty heartbreaking to see the interactions between Satoshi & Satoko, knowing what the inevitable conclusion to this arc will be.

For fans of the series, this is a must buy. For those who see the "Vol 1" on the title, be aware that this is only volume 1 of this particular arc & not the beginning of the series. (It's actually about volume 11, if I'm not mistaken.) To really know what is going on you'll have to start at the beginning with the Cotton Drifting Arc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Higurashi When They Cry.