Katie's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

May 24, 2013

bookshelves: incredible, read-twice
Read from January 21 to 29, 2011

Read it again, loved it again. May 24, 2013

There is nothing like a book that completely envelopes the reader. The Shadow of the Wind is certainly one of them for me. Being a fairly avid reader, I am blown away by his literary mastery, intricate plot twists, tenderness, compassion, and a story that plays out beautifully without error. I've said this before in a prior review, but this is the type of novel I adore so much that I don't know whether to keep it for myself or give it out to all my friends.

The Shadow of the Wind has it all: dialogue, mystery, death, life, romance, lust, family, suspense, horror, and culture.

Do yourself a favor and make the next paragraph you read from The Shadow of the Wind. Get ready for some sleepless nights. :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.

Quotes Katie Liked

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“I couldn't help thinking that if I, by pure chance, had found a whole universe in a single unknown book, buried in that endless necropolis, tens of thousands more would remain unexplored, forgotten forever. I felt myself surrounded by millions of abandoned pages, by worlds and souls without an owner sinking in an ocean of darkness, while the world that throbbed outside the library seemed to be losing its memory, day after day, unknowingly, feeling all the wiser the more it forgot.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“The words with which a child's heart is poisoned, through malice or through ignorance, remain branded in his memory, and sooner or later they burn his soul.”

01/21/2011 page 6
1.0% ""Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens.""
01/21/2011 page 35
7.0% "Gorgeous! "one of the pitfalls of childhood is that one doesn't have to understand something to feel it. By the time the mind is able to comprehend what has happened, the wounds of the heart are already too deep""
01/21/2011 page 105
22.0% "Completely sucked in! Zafón's gift of storytelling is blowing me away. It's nice, that unlike my feelings on "Blindness", to be engrossed immediately and consistently. Ironically, this book is about discovering lost novel "gems". Seeing as though I picked this book up randomly for $1.00, I can absolutely relate. Good books make me excited."
01/22/2011 page 133
27.0% "Loving it!"
05/17/2013 marked as: currently-reading
05/17/2013 page 61
12.0% "A second go-around for one of my favorites."
05/21/2013 page 235
48.0% "I'm so glad I cannot remember many of this book's details. It's unfolding flawlessly."
05/24/2013 marked as: read