Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Devil's Kiss

Devil's Kiss by Zoe Archer

Dec 06, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, paranormal-romance, faustian-bargain, rec-d-by-lacy, a-to-z-female-character-z, gambler, addiction, a-to-z-author-challenge-z, read-by-november-2012, georgian, favorites, favorite-or-autobuy-author, hot-and-steamy-romance, yearly-reading-challenge, 2012-sky-s-the-limit-club, scary-sexy-cool-dangerous-hero, dangerous-hero-2012-general-reading, gypsy-or-romany, kickbutt-heroine, lethal-woman-quarterly-challenge, lethal-women, all-things-autumn-challenge, bad-boy-rake-or-rogue, villain-point-of-view, non-virginal-historical-heroine
Recommended for: Fans of PNR Historicals, strong heroines, and dark heroes
Read from November 30 to December 03, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Devil's Kiss is the first in the Hellraisers historical paranormal romance series by Zoe Archer, and she has created an interesting world and an intriguing storyline that will keep me coming back to this series.

I loved how immersive this story was. I felt like I was in the Georgian period, where anything goes, if you have the money, power and status to make your own rules. With this background, the character have validity and their choices and motivations make sense. Whit is a hero that really sucked me in. He is not a good man, but he is a man that you want to be good, to make the right decisions in the end. I have to say that force of his personality pulled me right into this story. I found Whit very magnetic. Ms. Archer does an excellent joy of portraying the tug of war that Whit has between his good nature and his darker one. I don't think gambling was his vice in itself, but the desire to control fate and have power to manipulate fate and circumstances. Losing his family so young and becoming an Earl so early in his life gave him this vacuum inside, this feeling that he is being buffeted by fate, so that living on the knife's edge became the only valid lifestyle for himself. It's probable that he might have been a thrill-seeker, explorer or adventurer if he hadn't inherited his title. I found him quite fascinating as a character. I could see why Zora found him so irresistible and fell in love with him even though he's not a good man by any stretch. This aspect of the story, as well as the manner in which Archer establishes her story in the Georgian period reminds me of Anne Stuart, and that's always a good thing.

Zora was a great character. I loved her strong personality, her determination, her independent spirit, and that she doesn't give up on what is important to her. She always felt strange and disjointed in her Romani family and life, although she does value it. When the giorgo men show up in her camp, her eyes are drawn to Whit, and she can't look away. He compels her in a way no other man has. His obsession with her isn't one-sided at all. And she becomes the only means through which he can regain his soul back from the devil. Zora is a good woman, but she's also a vital, primal woman, not a plaster saint. It means that much more when she stands up for what is right when it is so easy to choose self and do what is wrong in the process.

When I read romance, I want the bond and the relationship between the characters to be meaningful, real, and deeply emotional. I felt all that with Whit and Zora. Although they share a very primal sexual attraction, there is also an intellectual connection, and an emotional bond. Zora could have walked away and left Whit to his fate, but she cared for him and wanted to help him get free from his devil's bargain; or she could have destroyed him when she realized that his actions might bring on the end of the world. But love kept her with him. As for Whit, although his actions towards Zora weren't honorable initially, he shows that she is very important to him, her love and her light keeps him grounded and gives him the strength to fight for his soul and to do the right thing. The love scenes are very sensual and well-written, and they fit very well into this intense story about dark passions and desires.

This series has gotten me hooked, probably from the first page. Ms. Archer promises to deliver forthcoming books that avoid being predictable, and where the main character could perhaps be the worst villain of all, if he chooses wrongly. I like that kind of risk-taking when I read a story, especially when it's well-written as Devil's Kiss is.

For this very enjoyable, well-written book, I have to give a rating of 4.5/5.0.

Definitely recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil's Kiss.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Beth ♥Addicted to HEA♥ I just recently finished this book too! I didn't like it as much as you, but I felt that Zora was a great character - I felt she had a lot of depth.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) So are you going to continue the series?

Beth ♥Addicted to HEA♥ I believe I will - I'm interested to see what happens to Bram in particular. I didn't find the gambling vice especially interesting and the other 'gifts' seem a little bit more intriguing.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) To me, it wasn't just about the gambling. That's what was interesting to me. That he really wanted to manipulate the probabilities in every situation.

Bram is going to be a tough hero to redeem. Looking forward to it.

message 5: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Thanks for the review, m'Lady. I've read Archer's Rebel series and really appreciated how strong she made her heroines. I'll have to give this new series a shot.

message 6: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Errr...Blade of the Rose series. Sorry. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Moira, I hope you enjoy this book. Zora was quite a heroine!

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ I don't know if anyone is interested but it's currently a kindle freebie on Amazon (19/03/2013).

message 9: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Thanks, Val! I snapped it up.