Liberty's Reviews > I Am Rembrandt's Daughter

I Am Rembrandt's Daughter by Lynn Cullen

Jan 14, 2011

bookshelves: historical-romance, romance, young-adult, love, i-own-it
Read in October, 2010

I admit it, this book took a while for me to get into. (2 attempts at reading it previously). But after about 2 chapters I was drawn in. I loved the heroine- Cornelia- and she actually had real problems, which is more than I can say about some of today's teen romance books.

Cornelia van Rijn is Rembrant's daughter. Her father is a great painter, yet he stubbornly refuses to paint in the popular style and both he and Cornelia must suffer for it. Now that Cornelia's brother is getting married and moving away, Cornelia must look after her father, who seems to despise her, for reasons Cornelia is unsure. She keeps to herself, but there is still that nagging thought of Why?

The book follows through Cornelia's accounts of what happens and who she meets along her coming of age journey. I love the decisions she makes, and I think she made the right ones. Other reviews have critisised this book as being too predictable, I highly disagree with this view point, but seriously how many books aren't predictable ? In fact I think that the whole world LOVES and craves predictable books, who didn't know that Bella would, eventually, end up with Edward? Or that Clary would end up with Jace? And ultimately, I loved both of those books and I loved this one too. Perhaps more so as it was so unique. And I love an underdog.

I wonder why this book isn't as popular as other young adult books, but I suppose the historical factor deters most teens. I wish that weren't true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Rembrandt's Daughter.