Crazyjamie's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 13: Too Far Gone

The Walking Dead, Vol. 13 by Robert Kirkman

Jan 14, 11

Read in December, 2010

Too Far Gone is the thirteenth trade paperpack in the Walking Dead series. In continues on from the twelth book, Life Among Them, almost directly, with the survivors continuing to build their lives in the newly found civilisation.

The standout feature of this book is that it is clear the current story arc (i.e. the survivors adapting to being in this new town) is one that has deliberately lasted much longer than others. Almost every other book, perhaps with the slight exception of the prison arcs, were utterly distinct and clearly represented individual plots as well as the encompassing story of the survivors. Things are slightly different here. I mentioned in my previous review that I expected the twelfth trade paperback to be akin to 'The Calm Before', which set the story up for an almost 'series finale' feel. I was wrong, because that doesn't happen in this book, indeed as I said it is something of a deeper continuation of the previous story.

That is not to say that it is dull; it is clearly a deliberate move on Kirkman's part, and I actually found it to be a pleasant change of pace. The question of whether or not the survivors are capable of going back to a life with a semblance of normality is an intriguing one. It is one of those questions that zombie literature in the past hasn't even remotely considered, and consequently it is not surprising that it is one that Kirkman spends some time exploring in this story arc. It reminds the reader that The Walking Dead is as much about the survivors as it is about the zombies, if not more so.

Of course there is also some action, as there always is, and this will quench the thirst of fans in that regard. The ending also suggests that there is something much, much bigger coming in the next story arc, and indeed reading the first couple of basic comics from the next set of stories confirms that. So this is a temporary detour that, whilst will not perhaps strike a chord with every reader, is an important reminder that Kirkman is in this series for the long haul and not looking for cheap thrills.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 13.