Lisa (Harmonybites)'s Reviews > The Black Echo

The Black Echo by Michael Connelly

Jan 14, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, mystery, ultimate-reading-list, crime, fiction, novels, popular-fiction
Recommended for: Fans of Police Procedurals
Read from January 11 to 13, 2011, read count: 1

I liked this one. It flowed well, sucking me in from the beginning and never letting me go, and I got more intrigued--and interested in the protagonist detective, Harry Bosch, more and more as we went along. This is a first novel, but it lays enough backstory that it feels like there were prior books. Bosch had a case in the past so famous he got paid to be a consultant and have his name used in a television series, and he owns a home overlooking Los Angeles as a result. And another case got him trouble with Internal Affairs and a demotion. The novel layers in several elements--the Vietnam War, a murder mystery and a bank caper, and I felt all the elements tied in well in the end with more than one surprise. A gripping read--not quite a keeper, or one I'd call a favorite. The book is dark and cynical in its worldview. But the book is strong enough I certainly would be interested in reading more about Bosch or other novels by Connelly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Echo.