~Tina~'s Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: arc, read-2012, bite-me, favorites, young-adult, own
Read from March 21 to 26, 2012

"You will always be a monster - there is no turning back from it. But what type of monster you become is entirely up to you."

In a world ruled by vampires, one girl challenges her immortality while striving to keep her humanity, even if everything inside her wants to be a monster...

There is only one way to describe Julie Kagawa's writing. Word candy. To both savor and devour. This women continues to awe me with her incredible skills. She ruled the world of faeries and I'm so pleased to say she did it again, but this time with my favorite genre. Vampires!!

First off, anything I say will never bring this book to justice. It felt so great to start a new vampire series again and it's even greater that it's from one of my all time favorite authors.

The Immortal Rules is a dark unflinching story about survival. In this story everyone- human or vampire- is fighting for any kind of existence. There are different types of humans as well as different types of vampires but the thing is, not any one of them are purely good or bad. They fight for a purpose. For food, for sport, for kicks but ultimately to live. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of evil dudes who paint quite the horrific picture, but I liked the fact that I didn't know what to expect from anyone. I loved the surprise I find in them.
We follow Allison Sekemoto in four separate parts. Human, Vampire, Monster and Wanderer. I loved how absorbing Kagawa made each section. You could feel how thick and vivid each atmosphere was. From the Inner City or on the run with the street rats. You could also feel the desperation from Allie, both as a human and a vampire. I simply couldn't get enough of this amazing characters journey.

Kagawa has a certain talent for creating characters to be proud of. So I'm not surprised how much I loved all of them!
~Allie is just to good for this life. She's such a caring and compassionate person who always looks out for others before herself. I was kinda surprised that she would choose that kind of life when Kanin offered, but the will to live is strong, so I get it. It turned out that Allie adapted to this life a little better then anyone I've seen so far. She struggles with what she is, but I admire the strength in her resistance and respect that she's truthful with herself. She is a monster. But she has the power to choose what kind she wants to become. She's also incredibly kick ass and I adore her weapon of choice!
~Kanin would have to be one of my favorites. As a sire and mentor, he doesn't take it easy on Allie. He's harsh, controlling, commanding and exasperating. But he still has a certain grace in his tone. Wisdom that can only come from experience. He carries regret and even hope. He was without a doubt one of the most fascinating characters in this story and I only wish we got to see more of him. I have high hopes for the second book.
~Zeke is also the kind of guy that's not hard to love. He's strong and brave and even finds it in himself to look past what he's been told his entire life and believe in something he hates and fears at the same time. Zeke is good people.
~There are a lot of other characters that I want to mention, but I think once you read the book you'll get the idea. Everyone, bad or good, are all amazingly well developed and put together!

Bottom line, this book is made of awesomesauce! It's entertaining as hell. I loved it from start to finish and I'm so happy that I have a new vampire series to add to my favorites and devour each installment!

Freaken Epic!

We also got a nice little treat, the first look from the Iron Fey Spinoff, The Lost Prince! I'm looking forward to getting to know more of Ethan's story. I can already tell we're gonna get along just fine;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

03/24/2012 page 1
0.0% "~bounces~"

~Tina~ Julie Kagawa is a genius when it comes to Fey! Can't wait to see her take on Vamp's baby!

message 2: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora ^^What Tina said;)

message 3: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic ~swing Tina around~ Yayyyyyyyyyyy

Lisa Envious! Can't wait for this one. I love Julie Kagawa!

~Tina~ She's the best evah!!

Amber OMG!! I need this now! Okay, I gotta, need to, read this asap! Keep me posted ;)

Eunice Lucky you! Have fun, Tina! :))

message 8: by ~Tina~ (last edited Mar 24, 2012 05:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Thanks Eunice!

I'm starting it now and I KNOW I'm gonna get stuck into it!! ~bounces~ lol

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I enjoyed this too. It kind of reminded me of Jonathan Maberry's Rot & Ruin series. Zombie vampires, got to love it.

~Tina~ I can see a bit of Rot & Ruin in this, but it goes a bit deeper and more intense. I really did love that book!

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) So glad you loved it Tina!! I did too! Julie once again dazzled us with another great story!! My review is up now as well!

~Tina~ Isn't she freaken amazing? I'm such a huge fan of her books!

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Oh God... I am too!!!! She's definitely a favourite... if not THE most favourite author of mine! Simply astounding!!!

message 14: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Awesome review Tina! Love your use of the term word candy. :D

~Tina~ Hehe! Thanks Arlene, it's the only way to describe this amazing author's writing XD!

♥Rachel♥ Glad you liked this Tina! I'm looking forward to this even more now! Great review. :)

~Tina~ Thanks hun! I hope you enjoy it!

message 18: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Tried looking into this. Did you get an advance copy or something?? If so pretty cool I'll be waiting for it.

Lyndsey Yay! FIVE STARS! I'm so glad you liked it, Tina. And you were right, after the awesomeness that was this book, I will definitely be reading the Iron Fey series. I can't believe I waited so long :-)

~Tina~ Tom wrote: "Tried looking into this. Did you get an advance copy or something?? If so pretty cool I'll be waiting for it."

I Tom, yup, I got an advanced copy for this one. It'll be out next month though so you wont have to wait long:)

~Tina~ Lyndsey wrote: "Yay! FIVE STARS! I'm so glad you liked it, Tina. And you were right, after the awesomeness that was this book, I will definitely be reading the Iron Fey series. I can't believe I waited so long :-)"

Thanks Lyndsey!! So glad you enjoyed this! The Iron Fey books were like a freaken dream, so I really hope you love those books. Meg, Ash and Puck are made of awesome!