Bronwyn Rykiert's Reviews > The Duke of Shadows

The Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran

Jan 14, 2011

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in December, 2008

What a fantastic book. I loved it from start to finish could not put down until it was finished. It was a bit different and it had a bit of everything in it.

Part 1

We meet Emmaline Martin as she is holding onto a life boat after the ship was on sank killing both her parents. They were on their way to India to meet her betrothed, Marcus Lindley who is a Viscount and a Colonel with the East India Co – they have been promised to each other since childhood.

She is not happy to be marrying Marcus as she does not love him nor he her and he does tell her that wants to marry her for her money. At a dinner held in their honour she meets Julian Sinclair, Marques of Holdensmoor Julian has mixed heritage, he was born in India but in heir to the Duke of Auburn.

Fighting breaks out between the British and the Indians and Emma is left alone to save her self. She meets Julian when she is going through the town and he takes her to where he thinks will be a safe place. When they get there he leaves her to go back to Delhi and act as a negotiator. Trouble comes to the village that she is at and she leaves it to go to find some help.

Part 2

4 years later and Emma thinks that Julian has forgotten about her and he thinks that she is dead.

They meet at a ball in London where some of her paintings from India are on show. She does not want to know him as she thinks he neglected to come for her in India. We find out that was not the case.

We get into a bit of mystery here and Julian and Emma come to find each other again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke of Shadows.