Andrea Caro's Reviews > Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

I wasn't going to review this book because it meant taking an extra five to ten minutes thinking about it, which should, essentially, convey exactly what I thought about it. I'm also flabbergasted as to how the rating on this book could be so high; I feel as though it's my civic duty to rate it appropriately so that maybe someone somewhere won't make the mistake of picking up this novel to read.

Let's start with the Becca Fitzpatrick's most cardinal sin. Hush, Hush is a blatant rip-off of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight saga which is a blatant rip-off of L.J. Smith's The Vampire Diaries. Here's the one question that I have: how in the hell do you rip-off a book like Twilight and make it suck worse than the original? I mean, a person has to have a special kind of talent in order to borrow a plot from a terrible writer and make it even worse.

For your pleasure (or, you know - abject horror), here are a few similarities between the two novels:

1.) The main character is a girl so stupid that she makes Paris Hilton look like a member of MENSA by comparison.

2.) The love interest of the main character is a rapey, pervy sicko that outright says multiple times that his base instinct is to kill her.

3.) What little plot and back story there is in this novel doesn't appear until approximately page three hundred; it's as though Becca was so focused on writing about her 'hero' (I use this term incredibly loosely) sexually harassing Dumb Girl that when she got to page three hundred and realized there was no plot to speak of, she shoved in a whole bunch of confusing, stupid mythology and hoped that no one would notice.

4.) Annoying supporting characters, holy shit. Dumb Girl's best friend is a girl named Vee. I remember her name distinctly because every second I saw it in this book, I fantasized about there being a real Vee so that I could hit her with my car and/or maim her to death with a golf club. Vee essentially forces a creepy, rapey guy (not the love interest; you heard me - there's more than one rapey guy in this book!) into Dumb Girl's life and Dumb Girl basically allows her to do so instead of telling her to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Dumb Girl, you should have let your friend die.

There were several scenes in this book that mortified me to my core. Really, Becca Fitzpatrick? Writing a scene in which an educator essentially harasses a student into talking about 'attractive traits in a mate'? Really, Becca? Letting that same educator ignore another student's overt sexual harassment of another student?

I can appreciate a good hate/love relationship as much as the next girl, I really can, but this love story wasn't a hate/love sort of thing. This love story was about a controlling, perverted guy taking advantage of a girl that clearly lacked the spine to tell him to back the hell off. This was a story in which girls are supposed to swoon because even though a foul, lascivious jerk-bag of a guy wants and needs to kill a girl but doesn't because it's 'so romantic'. It's not romantic. It's scary that this is what publishers are impressing upon young girls. I don't have a daughter, but if I did, I definitely wouldn't want her to read this and love a guy that embodied all of these qualities; that's just dangerous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush, Hush.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Synesthesia So true. Also you used the word "lascivious" which is a word I like a lot.
There's nothing romantic about bad boys!

Andrea Caro Synesthesia wrote: "So true. Also you used the word "lascivious" which is a word I like a lot.
There's nothing romantic about bad boys!"

Sometimes I pull these ten dollar words out of my ass and I'm totally impressed with myself. The other day I used 'moribund' in a sentence and I was like, oh, yeah, I'm awesome. Anyway, Patch wasn't even the dreamy kind of bad boy - he was a rapey, psycho, killer, creepster.

Synesthesia Ooo. What a great word.

I tend to not like those sort of men for some reason.

Andrea Caro Today's word: sacrosanct. All those years of me sitting in my room and reading the dictionary are paying off.

Because they're rapey, psycho killers is my guess why. I like a bad boy redeemed, though. I am alllll over that shit.

Synesthesia Redeemed badboys are not so bad. Especially when they have interesting tattoos.
Karev comes to mind, though he doesn't have tattoos, but he's sort of good and it's nice when he's all caring like holding a baby shirtless.
I watch too much Canoodling in the Hospital.

Andrea Caro No, I feel you. I watch all of the shows in Shondaland. Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, and the more recent Off the Map. Have you seen Off the Map? You need to see Off the Map. Anyway, re: Karev, I prefer that new guy that Jesse Williams his playing. Boy is foiiiine.

Synesthesia I'll have to watch more of They'll Be Canoodling in the Jungle then.

Andrea Caro You do, you really do! I think I like it more than Grey's and Private Practice already.

Synesthesia OK. I shall do that. I totally love Canoodling in the Hospital and Canoodling in the Doctor's office.
Man, the word "Canoodling" is hilarious.

message 10: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory This book is most definitely torture. I've never read it all the way through but I know that I'm never going to finish it. What is with these female Mormon YA authors and their moronic views on romance?

Andrea Caro Cory wrote: "This book is most definitely torture. I've never read it all the way through but I know that I'm never going to finish it. What is with these female Mormon YA authors and their moronic views on rom..."

I don't know if Becca Fitzpatrick is Mormon or what, but I know that non-Mormon authors have done just as bad with their young adult paranormal romances. I don't know why these authors are trying to turn girls into hopeless losers who think they can't exist without a man.

message 12: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory She is along with just about everyone else Jodi Reamer picked up after Steph Meyer. But I agree, it isn't just Mormons. Paranormal Romance used to be so cool. Or at least it was in my mind.

message 13: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Right now a lot of YA authors are just inserting themselves into their heroine. A lot of noob writers tend to do that when they're writing love stories and invent a love interest they themselves would like to bang. You see it all the time on fanfiction.net.
I mean, Bella is obviously Stephenie Meyer. For starters she looks exactly like her, except younger and skinnier of course. And Smeyer has stated how much she loves Edward and how great he is and how she'd definitely let him knock down her barn yard doors... (okay she didn't actually say that, but she was definitely thinking about that at some point.) All these YA authors are all noobs who got inspired by Twilight and decided how easy it would be to make their own version of it.
Also due to the obvious self inserts these authors look extremely desperate for love, and it's obvious they believe love means the other person is EVERYTHING to you, and without them you are nothing. You can't live without them, it wouldn't be worth it, etc. That you should sacrifice everything for your loved one and be completely selfless for them and dedicate yourself ENTIRELY to them like they are your God. Urgh. That's not love. That really is just being desperate.
(And before other people might find what I said offensive, my definition of love is the two people being equals and respectful to one another.)

Oh, and some authors like Fitzpatrick obviously like it rough. I mean, look at what Patch does to her -cough- I mean Nora.
This could also apply to Lauren Kate who seems to love it when her love interest tells her to shut up and be his bitch.

message 14: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Lauren Kate has some serious issues. I think all three of them need to be psychoanalyzed.

William Thomas Exactly what I thought of this book. Absolutely atrocious.

message 16: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel I think many, many of these paranormal YA authors need to be psychoanalyzed. Including Adornetto. Actually very, very much Adornetto. That girl needs a shrink asap.

message 17: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Mel wrote: "I think many, many of these paranormal YA authors need to be psychoanalyzed. Including Adornetto. Actually very, very much Adornetto. That girl needs a shrink asap."

That girl needs a full re-education. I'd feel sorry for her if she wasn't such a pretentious moron.

Andrea Caro I agree to all of this, basically. And I wonder if authors aren't using teen lit the way they used toy vacuums way back in the day - sending a subliminal message to girls that they exist only to make a man happy. And Mel, I agree most with what you said, about love being a partnership between people, not a hero-worship sort of scenario.

Synesthesia Yeah, as entertaining as I find Twilight, it's not a healthy way of loving a person. You can't be all like, oh, no, you're gone! I'm going to now shrivel and turn into dirt and DIE without you."

Nope. Not healthy at all. Too co-dependent. Like old skool love songs.

Andrea Caro I read Twilight and it was painful; I watch the movies for the lols. But you're right. Having the person you 'love' (and I use that term loosely because I don't think it's possible to love someone after two longing looks in the cafeteria) tell you that it's their base instinct to kill you - how is that romantic? It's not! I mean, you wouldn't want to makeout with a serial killer, would you?

But hey, don't hate on old skool love songs. When A Man Loves A Woman is my jam. :(

message 21: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory My parents have been playing old skool love songs for the past week. Temptations, Commodores, you name it.

Andrea Caro I love your parents. My dad does nothing but watch the hunting channel and I'm pretty sure my mom hasn't listened to music since she broke up with the drummer of the Four Seasons.

message 23: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Andrea wrote: "I love your parents. My dad does nothing but watch the hunting channel and I'm pretty sure my mom hasn't listened to music since she broke up with the drummer of the Four Seasons."

Right now they're listening to WWOZ. That's New Orleans radio. A lot of 50's rock and blues. They make fun of me for liking Coldplay.

Andrea Caro I tend to like music that's way too old for me - Billie Holliday and Robert Johnson and stuff like that. I also really like Yo-Yo Ma, but Jacqueline du Pre was the better cellist. The funniest thing is that I like old rock like Nugent and Kansas and, I don't know, REO Speedwagon and my dad makes fun of me for being 'stuck in the eighties'. I loooove blues, though. I don't love Coldplay, but I don't think they're bad enough to make fun of someone for liking them. It's not like you like Ke$ha.

message 25: by Megan (new) - rated it 1 star

Megan "Here's the one question that I have: how in the hell do you rip-off a book like Twilight and make it suck worse than the original? I mean, a person has to have a special kind of talent in order to borrow a plot from a terrible writer and make it even worse."

Love it!

message 26: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Oh god no. Neither Lady Gaga, Beiber, or Kanye. They're like the Steph Meyer, Becca Fitzpatrick, and Cassandra Clare of musix. I don't really get into the old stuff as much though. I like some classical and a lot of eighties pop. I'm also into a lot of punk rock and electronica. And some 90's hop-hop. It's hard to find good present day music. Have you heard of Iron and Wine? And are you into neo-soul?

message 27: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Jillian -always aspiring- wrote: "Cory wrote: "Oh god no. Neither Lady Gaga, Beiber, or Kanye. They're like the Steph Meyer, Becca Fitzpatrick, and Cassandra Clare of musix. I don't really get into the old stuff as much though. I l..."

The irony indeed. I started listening to him after I read a post on sparknotes. My fave has to be the Trapeze Swinger.

Synesthesia I like old skool love songs though. Billie, Ella, all of that. But sometimes I listen to the lyrics and think GAH! THAT IS NOT HEALTHY!

Though, the Fog by Kate Bush is a wonderful love song.
I love that song.
It's so good. Mmmmm.

I love Tori Amos and Dir en grey the best I think.