notgettingenough 's Reviews > Lili ne veut plus se montrer toute nue

Lili ne veut plus se montrer toute nue by Dominique de Saint Mars

Jan 14, 11

bookshelves: childrens

This isn't going to be fair, not least because my French is way worse than is needed to read a book for little children. Way way worse.

But also because I confess it irritated me. It's about a girl getting to that stage which apparently girls do, when they start worrying about whether they are going to get any breasts and if they are going to be big enough and.....I'm sure I don't need to go on.

Consider the other point of view. I was tormented throughout primary school by having breasts from the time I was about five. Later on, maybe my first year of highschool, when I finished growing, I had the strength and understanding not to care what other people think. But it is very hard to appreciate that as a primary school child. Has anybody written a book about how awful it is having breasts as a little kid???? I think not!!!! In my opinion we have quite enough books telling us not to worry if we haven't got tits yet, they'll come.

I was reflecting upon this a couple of days ago when I saw the Russ Meyer film 'Faster, Pussycat. Kill! Kill!' There is an extraordinary moment in the film where the chief protagonist, a girl who can look after herself, kills a man with her bare hands with an ease I wouldn't have in me to tackle a tinned sardine. It felt horribly real to me in a film which is laughing at itself, laughing at US culture and wishing to make a point to intellectual art cinema, ie a film which shouldn't have any sense of reality in it.

I looked up the actor who played this role afterwards and discovered that she also was afflicted by breasts as a small child. But what happened to Tura Satana was truly appalling:

She developed breasts very early and, despite being an excellent student, was constantly harassed for her figure and Asian heritage. Walking home from school at the age of nine she was gang raped by five men. Her attackers were never prosecuted and it was rumored that the judge had been paid off.[1] This prompted her to learn the martial arts of aikido and karate and, over the next 15 years, track down each rapist and exact revenge.[2] "I made a vow to myself that I would someday, somehow get even with all of them," she said years later. "They never knew who I was until I told them."[2]
from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tura_Satana

Who needs a Russ Meyer plot?

I haven't been able to verify this in any way, but it's a great story of revenge if true and not unlike the ending of the tribute film to Pussycat, Tarantino's Deathproof.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lili ne veut plus se montrer toute nue.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Manny Hmmmm. Maybe that's what this book is lacking. A Meyer/Tarantino subplot of big breasts and women who don't give a fuck. The author certainly churns them out. Maybe there's one on the way.

I will keep an eye open for Marlène Veut Tuer Les Cons Qui L'A Violée. But I'm not sure it'll be appearing any time soon.

notgettingenough Maybe the experiences of this review could be given to Lili as a salutary lesson as to why she is better off how she is.

message 3: by David (new)

David Cerruti Tura Santana obituary in NY Times.

notgettingenough David wrote: "Tura Santana obituary in NY Times.

Thanks, David. I'm glad I got to watch her while she was still alive, then. I can see why she seems to have been the inspiration for others.

message 5: by David (new)

David Cerruti Another Pussycat passes on.
NY Times obituary of Haji: