Reena Jacobs's Reviews > Spiderwork

Spiderwork by L.K. Rigel

Jul 13, 2012

bookshelves: 2011-reads, reviewed, indie
Read from April 12 to 14, 2011

Expect my review on April 18, 2011 on my website: http://reenajacobs.com/blog/2011/04/n...

Where I would call Space Junque a science fiction space opera, Spiderwork is more of a post-apocalyptic dystopian fantasy. The earth is jacked up royally, animal products we take for granted are a rarity, and humans are a dying species. Interesting enough, much of the technology from Space Junque novel is gone… gone… gone.

This was one of those books I had mixed feeling about. A lot had to do with my belief system. You see, I’m a huge advocate for women’s sexual health and rights. Spiderwork kind of trampled all over that. Even as I type this, I know it’s a huge part of the storyline, and without this aspect of the novella much of the forward momentum would be nonexistent. Still, the idea of young women (girls, even) being exploited didn’t sit well with me. Furthermore, the thought of my lover getting it on with another… well I let’s just say it doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies.

Even so, on a cultural level, the belief system of the characters was interesting. Though I’m American, drenched in American values, I can envision that kind of behavior going on in other parts of the world and taken as normal. Yes, it rubbed me all sorts of wrong, but at the same time it was completely realistic.

Because the concepts were foreign to me, the entire book was unpredictable. It was enjoyable to read a book and not know what to expect. I remember thinking this is not the way a romance is supposed to go. Guys and gals… this is not a romance with your happily ever after. Not a bad thing if you’re like me, a lover of realistic endings rather than the cozy everything turns out perfect ones. And I have to say, I absolutely loved this ending… enough to move on to the sequel, Bleeder.

From the rumors, I get the feeling Bleeder has a happily ever after. So perhaps the entire series will appeal to romance readers as a whole.

Other than going into culture shock, I think I would have liked if this work had a bit more meat to it. Not that the work was too short. Novellas work for me. It just would have been nice to explore each event a little more thoroughly. As it was, I felt like I was on a race to the end with each scene. I think I mentioned in the Space Junque review, Ms. Rigel isn’t one to waste words. Same thing here. She has a story to tell, and she tells it… no added fluff. After some of the comments folks have made about Shadow Cat, I definitely could use some lessons from Ms. Rigel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spiderwork.

04/12/2011
30.0% "This ones really getting into the religion and culture. I'm enjoying getting an inside peek."