Sarah's Reviews > Shanghai Girls

1909759
Jan 31, 2011

liked it
Read from January 13 to 30, 2011

Sometimes, I need awhile to decided how much I really liked a book. I liked this book so it for sure gets three stars, but I haven't decided if I like it enough to read it again which would mean it is atleast a four star book.

This book takes place in both Shanghai and the US, but mostly the US and really touches on how the Chinese were treated here during the 30's-50's. I personally, did not realize that the cruelity was this recent toward the Chinese??? Of course, everyone hears and knows about the blacks being mistreated, but not once did I ever learn about the Chinese. And it wasn't very long ago that I heard about how Japanese American's were treated during WWII. I feel extremely sad at how these people were treated people especially those who were working, contributing members of society. I am really anxious to talk about this book at book club because the situation, to a certain degree, can be compared to the Mexican population that is now coming into the United States today. I think this book is great for a bookclub to read and will definitly spark up debates!!!

Shanghai Girls is a novel about two sister, Pearl and May, who while living in Shanghai have lived a very good life and really never wanted to anything. Than there worlds are turned upside as their Father looses everything and in order to keep himself and his wife comfortable arranges his daughters to marry and come to America. At first the sisters refuse and miss their boat, but soon after the Japanesse attack, their father goes missing and their mother does all that she can to get her girls to safety.

This is really where the tale of these two sisters begin. Follow Pearl and May as they make their way to the United States, be interrogated by immigration officials, make it to their new husbands, endure the trials associated with arranged marriages, the uncertainity of life as a Chinese immigrant and mostly the bond of sisters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shanghai Girls.