Amarice's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Apr 09, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: classics, male-authors, dystopia, read-in-hebrew, male-protagonist, europe, reviewed
Recommended for: Dystopia fans who like classics
Read on June 01, 2013

3.5/5

Recommends it for: open minded people

"Brave New World" is one of the most bright and original ideas I have read about in a while.
Let me just warn you about something and note that upon all, the writing is not very attractive, like I would have expected, but I have read a transalation of it into my mother tongue and I did like it, eventually. It just takes time to get into it.
I like dystopia, I think. But since I have a very little experience with the genre, I have decided to read this classic book, which is probably the best dystopian out there, for the simplest reason it started it all. And I think this is Aldous Huxkley's social contribution: not only an enjoyable book and a fine read, but also a pioneer in the genre, one of a few authors who have been focusing on the future and not on the present or the past, when writing, which was quite rare in the 20th century and before. Today, almost one out of three notable young-adult bestseller - is a dystopian novel. And I felt the urge to point it out, just to clarify the big favor this book has done to us with its publication in 1931! (Now that you have got the number - don't you think - wow!?)
I guess the whole idea of different world, yet the same is great. What I like most about this specific science fiction genre, is that you don't have to work out your imagination too hard, because the characters could have been living in our world as we know it. Unlike fantasy or modern outer-space-non-human-characters science fiction - in which the setting is usually outside of earth or in a whole paraell, different universe - dystopia is challenging practiculary because it requires thinking outside the box and opening to a new perspective of the world today and what will become of it in the future.
The people described in the book are human, too. Their basic needs are just like ours, and their thoughts, wishes and motives apply to our generation, too. Girls - would you blind date a short, fat, weird guy? Probably not. So it is in Huxley's brilliant brave new world. This is one of the things I truly like about this book.
Dystopia also allows us to overlook history and its results, compare it to our days and the current generation and try to predict what the future will bring. Every one of us has a unique point of view concerning the changing and developing world around us, and so, naturally, we all assume completely different things about the future. And it does not matter whether it is the near future - 5 or 15 years from now - or the far future, a century away. This is why, reading BRAVE NEW WORLD, I had to stop and take a deep breath and think of how I see the world. I had to fully relaize how I look at the people around me and the news I hear and how I react to everything that is happening in my surroundings. Understanding this, I could assume about the future. Now, as I claimed, we all have a unique view about what the earth's fate will be in many, many years - and so, every reader of BRAVE NEW WORLD, including myself, has to, directly and indirectly, confront Huxley's assumptions about the future: Huxley's characters and futuristic world. And this is hard, because whatever you do - you have to finally accept his assumptions, in order to enjoy the book. That is probably why some people will not get into this novel at the first time they pick it up. I was among those second-time-lucky people myself.
Basically, you see, the whole book is a combination of thinking and accepting - reading and comparing it to what I have imagined about the future. A battle of minds, in which none of us can win. This is the reason, I suppose, for me being so drawn to the book. I kept thinking about it when it was out of reach, and I, using my imagination, "continued" the process of "reading" by guessing what I am going to read about. Well, this was fun. Also, it keeps you sharp and helps you not accept anything as obvious, including the future. You have to be very critical to actually enjoy the book the best way possible.

Huxley's writing is sort of old-fashioned, and somehow implied - to me, anyhow - that he was an old man when the book has been written, but as a writer of dystopia, he is remarkable an ageless writer: he is young, because his imagination is so strikingly shocking, and old, because he knew how to criticize his world by predicting the future. He was smart.
I think that even a century from now, this book will still be relevant. Because everything can happen. Everything is happening , all the time, and we don't even know it.
Who knows, maybe someday we will wake up to find ourselves in our own verison of a brave, new world?

*About a year later*

3.5/5

I re-read it (I guess I just finish everything I think has potential), and it was just so great! It's a book of ideas, such a modern classic!
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

06/01/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/01/2013 marked as: read

Adam Danna, this review doesn't sound like you thought this book was bad. Why did you give it two stars then?

Also, I don't think these authors are "prophetic". Bell probably read Jules Verne and was inspired to attempt to build the device. This doesn't make Verne a prophet or a predictor, just as things like Star Wars have droids in them and inspires engineers to try and build those things. Star Wars didn't predict them, they inspired someone's imagination to build the things.

Amarice No, those authors are certainly not "prophetic". It is only a tag I have got for science fiction future world kind of books, if you understand what I mean.
Well, this book was not bad at all. It was not terrific either. I really had a debate with myself about how will I rate this book, so I went for 3 stars. But then again, three stars is the edge of a good book... um, no, I will not say it that way.
Well, let's just say this is a good book, although I did not like specific things about it. This book was okay plus. Let's say 2.5 stars :)

Adam haha, ok ok. It just sounded like you liked the book a lot more than you apparently did. : )

Amarice In fact, I am still thinking about it :)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) It's those books that have lots to offer, but are told in the most revolting way that make for hard reviews and ratings. (or something like that).

Good review, thank you, Danna.